mike amott

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharn666

Reaction score
hey everyone im new to this forum but just wondering if you guys could tell me something with the new mike amott sig amp.its his sig amp but he doesnt seem to use it onstage because he is using the rm100 randall head.im asking this because im trying to get the same tone as mike.but i dont want to get a sig amp that he doesnt even use.the rm100 seem brutal anyhow but what do you guys think is better,and why isnt mike using this amp onstage so far im at the moment i own a kerry king marshall but i want t purchase a randall head because i just purchased a digitech gsp 1101 rack but the kerry king head has no effects loop so im thinking of keeping the kerry king head and buying a randall as well but not sure what one to get its either going to be the rm100 or the mike amott sig what do you guys reckon

If memory serves correctly I believe Mike also uses an RM100 with the Ultra or Ultra Xl module. IMHO, I'd say sale your Kerry King amp and get an RM100 head, this amp is the best. You can buy an SL+ and probabely get the same tone from the Kerry K. Thats what I would do.

Mike used to use a 5150, then he switched to a RM100 with a blackface and 2 Ultra Xls.

Looks to me like hes a tube guy. He has never used the v2 ninja on a recording. If you want his sound, get an rm100 with ultra xls and tune down to c. Done.

srrdude said:
Mike used to use a 5150, then he switched to a RM100 with a blackface and 2 Ultra Xls.

Looks to me like hes a tube guy. He has never used the v2 ninja on a recording. If you want his sound, get an rm100 with ultra xls and tune down to c. Done.

According to Randall Artist Relations he used a V2 on "Rise of the Tyrant".

According to Guitar World June 2009, he also used a GSP1101 digital preamp during summer Euro runs with Arch Enemy because he felt he could get a more consistent sound at the click of a switch. He's using this for the US Carcass run.

So not a tube guy. It may be running through the RM100 power section.

julia is right but Remember this : Studio Studio Studio / Multiple tracks with Major Production. But live he is Running Parametric Eq's Running Solid State thru Rm than Routing thru Board than into Power Amps Big power amps..

Hey with 100k you to can get that sound.

Remember there is live amps and there is Recording amps you will never never capture a sound on a cd with Out of box Amp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oPhblxDR8w.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsJE1qB9zUI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCtGKqRaYw8&feature=related

Randall says Amott uses the amp they put his name on to sell? Shocking.

Amott says he uses an rm100, He has it sitting on top of his v2 ninja cabs (with the v2 head no where in sight), ill trust amott.

In my opinion, if you use a 5150, then a krankenstein, then an rm100, then get a signature solidstate and STILL use the rm100, your a tube guy.

Im sure there is other stuff going on in the studio, but his main amp appears to be an rm100.

I don't mean to split hairs here srrdude, but here is a direct quote from Amott...

Michael Amott said:

I was using Randall cabs and RM100 heads with the modular channels, which sound great. But I got kinda lazy when I went out on the European summer festivals with Arch Enemy. I wanted an easy way to get a consistently good live sound, so Glen Drover from Megadeth turned me on to the GSP1101 digital preamp with effects. Glen e-mailed me his settings, and I plugged them and then tweaked them to my liking. I was really surprised with how great it sounded. I'm using that same setup for this U.S. Carcass run.

I've beaten my head against the wall trying to get the recorded sound live. It just doesn't happen. So I learned to separate the two and just go for a good solid sound live, and use the studio for tweaking stuff, and I use modeling and parametric EQs as well as tube amps in the studio. As well as digital effects applied post production and do a ton of reamping until I get the tones I want.

On a reamped track, I can put the parametric EQ plugin on the feed track and adjust it so I get the desired sound on the finished track. I can also apply compression, and then when it runs through the amp it sounds more natural.

I lurk over at the Andy Sneap forum and pick up some tips and tricks there as well. Also I have some friends who have some serious studio setups who have been doing this recording stuff for years, and I get all sorts of tips and tricks from them.

CHEERS FOR THE REPLYS its been a big help now i have made my mind sell the kerry king even so its a cool head but i need something more like the rm100 i was just about to buy a v2 ninja but can you guys tell me is there 2 models of the rm100 and which one should i get because i believe that that have different modules can you guys help

if you dont mind me asking what is a sl+ the type of music im into is metal i mainly play carcass & arch enemy and my own original riffs that i write i just puchased the digitech gsp1101 and it has an insane sound but im only running it through a set of headphones at the moment as my amp is at my jam room at my bandmembers house but im going to bring it back home tonight and see how it sounds running it through the front of the head but i dont think it will do any justice

The rm100 can be confusing to purchase.

There is the Lynch box which is george lynch's signature head (dunno if its considered an rm100) that comes with his modules

There is the RM100KH which is kirk hammetts model and comes with his signature modules

There are a few variations of the rm100 that are named according to their cosmetic appearance: RM100pb (palomino black), Rm100M (metal grate) etc etc. These heads can come loaded or unloaded. If you think there are more than one version of the head, this is why. There are quite a few combinations of modules that come loaded with the head. SL+ is a module based off the marshal JCM800. You might consider getting an empty head (no modules) and buying a blackface for cleans, an SL+ for marshall needs, and an ultraXL for your arch enemy fix.

Hope this helps.

CHEERS thats a big help so far this is the best forum i have been to with the most friendly and helpful replys thanxs

sharn666 said:
hey everyone im new to this forum but just wondering if you guys could tell me something with the new mike amott sig amp.its his sig amp but he doesnt seem to use it onstage because he is using the rm100 randall head.im asking this because im trying to get the same tone as mike.but i dont want to get a sig amp that he doesnt even use.the rm100 seem brutal anyhow but what do you guys think is better,and why isnt mike using this amp onstage so far im at the moment i own a kerry king marshall but i want t purchase a randall head because i just purchased a digitech gsp 1101 rack but the kerry king head has no effects loop so im thinking of keeping the kerry king head and buying a randall as well but not sure what one to get its either going to be the rm100 or the mike amott sig what do you guys reckon
Before his signature amp. He just used an RM100 with 2 UltraXLs and a clean. Randall has a video of him on youtube telling you all about the ULTRA XL's. His live setup was just the RM100 with the Ultra XL and that digitech GSP1101 you wanted to get. It is the best module Randall has for any heavy music. Its the only high gain module I own. Stock Ultra XL and an RM100 with 6L6's.

schlagdog said:
Before his signature amp. He just used an RM100 with 2 UltraXLs and a clean. Randall has a video of him on youtube telling you all about the ULTRA XL's.
There is an instructional vid on youtube wherein the Amott brothers both play Randall RM100's with the UltraXL modules. I'll see if I can find them again...

Baco said:
schlagdog said:
Before his signature amp. He just used an RM100 with 2 UltraXLs and a clean. Randall has a video of him on youtube telling you all about the ULTRA XL's.
There is an instructional vid on youtube wherein the Amott brothers both play Randall RM100's with the UltraXL modules. I'll see if I can find them again...

Here let me help you with that

srrdude said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oPhblxDR8w.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsJE1qB9zUI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCtGKqRaYw8&feature=related

Randall says Amott uses the amp they put his name on to sell? Shocking.

Amott says he uses an rm100, He has it sitting on top of his v2 ninja cabs (with the v2 head no where in sight), ill trust amott.

In my opinion, if you use a 5150, then a krankenstein, then an rm100, then get a signature solidstate and STILL use the rm100, your a tube guy.

Im sure there is other stuff going on in the studio, but his main amp appears to be an rm100.

Done.

Ouch, should have checked those indeed :oops:

Has anyone tried the Providence delays? I have 2 other delays incoming, but I'm just curious about these :?:

And indeed, with the UltraXL you can come pretty close to Mike's tone.

im trying to sell my kerry king head as we speak lately when i jam with my band i have just been running my digitech gsp1101 through a mixer and 2 altos speakers it has some insane sounds after you programme the patches through a computer but as soon as i sell my kerry king marshall im really keen on getting the randall rm100 with 2 ultraXL in it but what i want to ask you guys now is i have heard that with some randall amp they have alot of noise but i wouldnt know as i have never even used a randall amp but my kerry king head is dead silent so my point is what sought of noise gate in a rack type would you guys suggest getting and price isnt a hassle CHEERS SHARN666

sharn666 said:
im trying to sell my kerry king head as we speak lately when i jam with my band i have just been running my digitech gsp1101 through a mixer and 2 altos speakers it has some insane sounds after you programme the patches through a computer but as soon as i sell my kerry king marshall im really keen on getting the randall rm100 with 2 ultraXL in it but what i want to ask you guys now is i have heard that with some randall amp they have alot of noise but i wouldnt know as i have never even used a randall amp but my kerry king head is dead silent so my point is what sought of noise gate in a rack type would you guys suggest getting and price isnt a hassle CHEERS SHARN666
Both the RM100KH and the RM100 I had before are very silent amps. Maybe you're talking about the solid state amps being noisy?

maybe im wrong as i have never used a randall amp before its just i was on another forum and there was alot of people having a cry about how much noise there randalls made but i think they where full of it so thats why im asking you guys because you seem like that your all in the know.