Replacing my cooling fan: Too close for comfort! Help?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shinozoku

Reaction score
Are there any precautions that need to be taken to put a new fan in your amp? I recently got a Zalman cooling fan to reduce noise, and I know it's just one plug, but I don't know if I have to discharge the filter caps first to be safe, or if I can open it up, take the old one out, pop the new one in, and be done with it?

is it soldered in or plugged in?, i couldn't track mine all the way down to the board cause the tranny wires were in the way. if it reduces noise let me know

You're probably ok with not having to discharge the caps as long as you aren't messing around with them or near them. I doubt the B+ for the amp is tied to the fan.

Pete

Thanks for the tips :)

I have my amp apart, and I'm having issues with ONE of the fan's screws (I think it's solved though), because the middle screw on that plate on the bottom of the amp stripped out. But I'll have the fan replaced soon! I'm working full time now and catching up on an online Spanish class.

One thing though: the stock fan has two wires running from it, and the Zalman has 3, one of which has a resistor in line with it. Will I even be able to make this connection, do you think? And what's with the resistor? I'll take pics tomorrow.

The lead with the resistor is an alternate connection to run the fan at a reduced speed which reduces the noise level. (Check out their website)
Pat L.

Okay, I got the screws out (that stripped one pisses me off and I'll eventually get it out and replace it later), but I've run into the next problem.

Fanplug.jpg

FanandCaps.jpg