Mr scary?does it sound like dokken?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
huh,hopefully the brahma sounds better..maybe its this guys setup more that its modulei dont know.

huh,hopefully the brahma sounds better..maybe its this guys setup more that its module i dont know.

according to an inside source at randall amps,i'm told that the Mr Scary was modeled after George Lynch's Dokken signature LEAD tone and the Brahma module,not yet out,is modeled after his 80's Dokken RHYTHM tone.randall's module descriptions on both of these are not totally correct...that's what i'm told!

goldwing68nv said:
according to an inside source at randall amps,i'm told that the Mr Scary was modeled after George Lynch's Dokken signature LEAD tone and the Brahma module,not yet out,is modeled after his 80's Dokken RHYTHM tone.randall's module descriptions on both of these are not totally correct...that's what i'm told!
ah,there is hope!

Chad said:
Are you saying you don't like the sounds of the module from that clip?
doesnt sound much like lynch tone to me.to much gain,sound harsh and the mids where not correct to my ears..it could be the speakers the guys using or even the pickup or amp.hard to tell.

...a very good question,indeed.i had thought the same thing.it'll be interesting to hear the Brahma module & determine what the similarities/differences are,comparing it to the Mr Scary!!! ...as of last wednesday,i was told that the Brahma module has finally passed the final R&D approval stage & could be ready for shipment to the u.s. dealers in about two weeks??? ...we'll see!!!

First up on my response is - I think the Mr. Scary does a great job of recreating alot of Lynch's tone for the Dokken days. I use it as my main lead tone now, even though to me it is a great rhythm module as well. I think Jim's recordings on the modules, which was the link above, are great and give an awesome example of the tones capable from the modules. Of course the gain, mid, treble and bass settings can offer different tones possibly to your liking, but there are just so many variations - it'd be impossible to do every one in a seperate sound file. Props to Jim once again.

He (Lynch) has spoke about both these modules on his Dojo forum, which I am a member of and says that the Brahma is more of a rhythm module which alot of people are looking for.

When you ask why there are two modules? Well when he (like most other musicians touring) plays on stage or even in the studio, he has more than one amp setup for certain tones whether that be a lead, rhythm or clean. So when you look at that, it makes sense to have 2 modules that are based off of a "lead" and a "rhythm" tone.

I had the Grail as well, but thought that it didn't have as much versatility as the Mr. Scary did - plus my Dual Rec just smoked it in the gain department so I just stuck with what it was based on, my Dual Rec. I have the Brahma on hold @ Brookdale once they get their first shipment in - so when I get mine I'll gladly post my thoughts on it.

cool guys..i think its cool that the guy made the clips of all of the modules..i was just let done a little by the tone i heard,it very well might be different if i get one a play with it through my rig.im kicking around getting one of those rm4 but thats alot for a preamp chassis..i could buy the modules andbuild my own chassis and just hard wire them in..save some cash..

i have to say after owning the module it does sound like vintage dokken.i didnt like it with the duncan screaming demon pickup butloved it with the duncan distortion.sounds like classic lynch

Listening to the Mr Scary mod from the web site doesn`t sound very much like having it pluged into the Rabdall Lynch Box thru a 4- 12 cab w/ greenbacks in it right in front of you ! That mod is killer !! So is the Grail and their Plexi mod ! Also the Randall SL+ mod is filled with Lynch`s tone! All I`m waiting for now is the Brahma !By the way ... this is all made possible by Bruce Egnater !! That man is a genius !I spoke to a rep at Randall a few days ago and I believe the Brahma`s will be shipped out in about 2 weeks. Christmas all over again !!!I never owned a Randall before and I must say that this design is truely a masterpiece! I`ve allready biased the amp myself. I feel like an amp tech !! Yea right!I hope you guys are all happy with your amps, I know I am ! Keep playin.. Joe..

The setup I used to record those clips was this:

Peavey Wolfgang Standard with EMGs (81 in the bridge, 85 in the neck)
into
Randall RM4 -> VHT 2/90/2 (w/KT88's) -> two Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12's.

There was nothing else in the chain from what I can remember...

I wouldn't base 100% of your opinion on the modules based on my playing or tone from them, because tone comes from the player, the guitar, the cabs, the pickups, the power amp, etc... not just the module itself.
Plus those were just recorded with a mic on my cab; so take that for what it is. One thing to note; I used Genz Benz 2x12's for those recording; to some people, they are missing something in the mid range that depending on your style you might miss out on.

I just purchased a Presonus FireStudio that should arrive in a week or so; plus my Egnater M4 should arrive around that time as well.

I'll try to record some new clips when I get that stuff; I have all Randall modules, two RM4s; plus I'll have the M4 and several of those modules; so maybe I can update all the clips...

Next time; I'll work up some way to make them a little more general and offer some clips recorded with guitars with passive pickups as well as EMGs and also thru some different cabinets and different power amps.

George is currently working on his new album--Drumming provided by Mike Wengren of Disturbed... Anyway, according to Gerry, he went through all of the Randall modules and decided he liked the Mr. Scary the best for his lead tones. I was somewhat disappointed with the Mr. Scary at first but since it was developed with George's ear, an ear that I respect like no other, I was thinking it must be me--I must have needed to tweak it. Having done so, and playing through it with an all maple tiger with Duncan distortion, yes, definitely getting that Dokken tone and liking it.

Mine dose indeed!
I tried it with 2 guitars so far, one with Duncan Distortion and the other with an EMG 81 and it Sounded Killer! I love this Module and it's versatility!

I love my Mr.Scary too!!! :wink: unfortunatly it's still at Randall! :twisted:

The Grail is wicked just the same... love the lead tones and rythm tones from it.

Khing