Mr. Scary question

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm taking a guess here...
Possably a Soldano in parts, but may have been trying to get close to other amps that Lynch favoured
Maybe shades of the Tim Caswell modified Marshall that was also the main amp for GNR's Appetite tone

George's love for old Plexis pushed with a pedal is well documented - and the Brahma is supposed to get close to that

I too have just gotten a Mr Scary and it is my fave module by far

Same here. I love my Mr. Scary. The only problem is I'm fighting my inner GAS not to send it to Pete to turn it into a Soldano. Maybe I just need to buy another one so I can have both .... :)

felineguitars said:
I'm taking a guess here...
Possably a Soldano in parts, but may have been trying to get close to other amps that Lynch favoured
Maybe shades of the Tim Caswell modified Marshall that was also the main amp for GNR's Appetite tone

George's love for old Plexis pushed with a pedal is well documented - and the Brahma is supposed to get close to that

I too have just gotten a Mr Scary and it is my fave module by far
Super V: An old Vox AC30 with some differences made to the tone to make it more acoustic-sounding.

Brahma: His old 60's Plexi sound.

Mr. Scary: Soldano that he used.

Grail: 2ch Mesa Dual Recto (one of the first 500 ever made actually, and one that their vocalist chucked a beer or two at because it was "too loud", therefore ruining and destroying it).

From an interview with Lynch he says all of his modules are hybrids, a cross between 2 or 3 amps .

The Scary is the SLO/and an old red aspen pittman Marshall super lead.

the mids are more vintage , they kind of have this bounce or squish to them.I personally do not think the Scary or Brahma really sound like ANY of the other mods

It is really dependant on your power tubes though .with 5881 it sounds more Soldano ,the El34L in the Lynch box give more of a Ultra Hot plexi to my ears .
YMMV

gtr31 said:
From an interview with Lynch he says all of his modules are hybrids, a cross between 2 or 3 amps .

The Scary is the SLO/and an old red aspen pittman Marshall super lead.

the mids are more vintage , they kind of have this bounce or squish to them.I personally do not think the Scary or Brahma really sound like ANY of the other mods

It is really dependant on your power tubes though .with 5881 it sounds more Soldano ,the El34L in the Lynch box give more of a Ultra Hot plexi to my ears .
YMMV

And if you go to a tube like a 5881WXT or the 6L6-GE (like I'm using) the sound goes to Soldano. My cabinets have Vintage 30s/Greenbacks. I actually compared the module side by side with a Soldano SLO played through a Bogner cabinet with the same speaker combo and it was spot on.

I dial Mr. Scary like this:

Gain: noon
Bass: 3:00
Mid: 2:00
Treble: noon
Level: 11:00
Master: between noon and 2:00 depending upon if the neighbor has complained -- 2:00 if the neighbor complains because I practice in the afternoon and they can kiss ......
Density: noon
Presence: noon

This is my favorite tone I've gotten out of this amp so far.

And Soldanos are based off Marshalls anyway.