12ax7 in the 12at7 spot?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fieroboy_gt

Reaction score
ok so I changed all the preamp tubes to solvtek 12ax7's. I was talking to the guys at the music store and he said that all preamp tubes are basicly the same an it wont matter one way or another what I put in to it. Now when I was pulling out the old tubes I noticed there was a sticker near one of the sockets that said 12at7. but all the tubes were 12ax7's will this hurt anything or should I go back an get a 12at7 for that one socket. Changing the tubes made the amp a lot less noise. no more popping an clicking. or loud white noise. I also just bought the boss ns2 what a great pedal.

It could definitely hurt something.

12AX7s are higher gain than AT7s.

You can away with putting AT7s in AX7 spots, but not the other way around.

Switch back asap before you fry something.

The only tube in the amp that uses a 12AT7 is the tube in the hybrid power amp section and like fieroboy_gt said , better put back the AT7 as the AX7 is a higher voltage tube and you could fry the power amp section .

definitely don't do that; a guy at a local music shop did that to mine thinking it would be a cool idea and it fried my power supply. sweet