Help on module selection

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Disciple

Reaction score
Hello everyone -

Just have a quick preference poll here. I recently purchased an RM100 amp head and got my XTC module (Thanks Matt!) and just got my Plexi module in the mail today, with a clean on the way.

But I am stuck on whether to go for a Brown or an SL+ next? I have not had a chance to play either of these, since NO ONE here in Denver sells Randall, pretty sad. So I'm coming here for your guys' feedback from experience.

Eventually I am going to get the 1086, but for now the XTC and Plexi can hold me over for the heavier chunky rhythm. What I am really looking for is a nice classic rock tone - like Thin Lizzy (Scott Gorham/Gary Moore/John Sykes), I know the Brown does an Eddie Van Halen type sound, but wonder if the SL+ will suite my needs more.

Any thoughts would be appreciated - I have a seller for both modules waiting in the wings patiently for my pick between the two.

Thanks for your time -

I haven't tried out either of those, but here is my suggestion. Is the plexi *too* classic a sound, and you want something a littler harder, or are you looking for something less gainy than that? If it's not gainy enough, try running an overdrive with the gain at 0 and the level at 10 with tone to taste (I was given this suggestion by another member of this forum, works pretty well). Also you could try waiting for the new Lynch modules. I would say they might better suit what you are asking for than either the SL+ or the Brown.

P.S. Glad to hear you dig the XTC. I liked it a lot too but I had 3 high gain modules and I can't use all of them! lol

As stated above the Plexi should cover all your classic rock sounds. The SL+ and the Brown are really just modded Plexi's that you can get with a tube screamer or other OD pedal.

If your looking for a significantly different distortion the 1086 or Recto might be a better choice. Another option is the Top Boost and leave it unmodded, this will get you something less than the Plexi.

In my experience, Plexi + OCD pedal is better than SL+ as far as clarity goes, and it takes one less slot if you already have a Plexi in there.

I'm using a Whizzer-modded Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive, and it works for me. Now if only my VHT would show up so I could use my RM-4 already!!! GRRRR!!! :evil:

Hello Disciple,
In my experience with the Plexi module, I found it to be great stock for Classic Rock and Punk stuff like Green Day, and with an overdrive pedal, like the ZW44 pedal for example, a good heavy thrash type of tone can also be achieved. Just my two cents. Hope it helps.

Distortoman