Plexi vs Brown

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldsparkletop

Reaction score
I use the Plexi module for my Marshallesque, crunchy rhythm sound. Think Black Crowes, Jet, Buckcherry, etc

It has enough gain for me, but if I could tweak a couple things, they would be:

1. More mids (I already have them dimed).

2. A less brittle high end.

Now, is what I am describng - a Plexi with more mids/less buzzy highs - the Brown module? Anytime I hear a clip of the Brown, it is always in a soloing context, never any crunchy chords, so I have no idea if the Brown would fit the bill as a rhythm module.

Thoughts?

I have both the Plexi and the Brown. I think you would be pleased with the Brown. It does have more gain, more mids, and has a little less sizzle on top. It's maybe a little less "open" sounding, so advantage Plexi in that department. Still a great mod in my opinion.

Scott,

If I do end up getting the Brown and find that I prefer it to the Plexi, I will indeed sell the Plexi.

Before I purchase a Brown, however, I am going to try adding some mids to the Plexi via a parametric EQ (Rocktron Xpression in my RM4's loop).

Gary

Yeah I was going to say try adding an EQ and/or an OD pedal out in front of the Plexi and see if that helps. Might be all you need! If you push the input a little hotter you can get more gain but still keep the flavor of the plexi. Good luck man! :D