HELP! My amp is acting strange....

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

veets987

Reaction score
Ok so the past few gigs i had my amp has been acting weird. It would kinda sizzle in and out for a bit and then be fine. It didnt matter what channel i was on it would still do it. I am running a RM4 and a RT2/50. Any ideas on what might be up? It would just do it out of the blue and then be fine for a while.. I just want to get the issue fixed before it totally craps out on me at a gig because i dont currently have a backup amp....

If it's doing it regardless of channel and comes and goes I would suspect a tube in the power amp or on your RM4's chassis (ie: not a module tube). Are your tubes older? Also, do you use the RM2/50 in switching mode? If so, does the problem still occur if you switch to the other pair of power tubes while it's happening? Start there and troubleshoot backwards.

I was having this fading in and out occaisional sizzling out then back in full -- it was the power tubes. I was running straight into the amp.

Then I had this happen again after replacing the power tubes, but I'd changed something in front of the amp, and that time it turned out to be a bad battery in a pedal.

Now if it was the power tubes shouldnt the tube failure light come on on the RT2/50?