Is the Lynch box power amp stage the same as the MTS?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longi

Reaction score
As it says above. You can't buy the Lynch box for love nor money over here in Blighty, so my next best thing is the MTS range. Swap the 6L6's for EL34's and away I go! That's assuming you can change the tubes!
Thanks ahead.

If you have aposeable thumbs and a multimeter you can change the tubes :) The older Lynch Boxes had some mods done to the power section to sound more Marshally, but I think they're standardizing all the newer ones (which seems pointless to me, as the point of the other models isn't just aesthetics, but the different power amp circuitry), so a switch to EL34s/E34Ls will be just fine.

Thanks for coming back to me. :D That's good to hear. Ican't belive they don't sell the Lynch box in Britain, i'm itching to get my hands on one. Having said that, an RM50 will do just lovely with EL34's and a couple of Lynch modules. :D

I know what you mean about being a bit scarce
I was lucky to snap up this one ....a pre skull and bones prototype:
lynchbox3.jpg

Don't know if it had been modified - sounds very good though
I use Egnater M4s and a Randall RM4 too so everything is pretty compatible
Just wish I could get the Lynchbox modified to take the Eggie modules without having to ship the head back to Egnater in Detroit - too expensive to do that

felineguitars said:
I know what you mean about being a bit scarce
I was lucky to snap up this one ....a pre skull and bones prototype:
lynchbox3.jpg

Don't know if it had been modified - sounds very good though
I use Egnater M4s and a Randall RM4 too so everything is pretty compatible
Just wish I could get the Lynchbox modified to take the Eggie modules without having to ship the head back to Egnater in Detroit - too expensive to do that

i got my lynch box modded to do dual modules by jeff at egnater.

it rocks!

i know because i also own a mod 100!

Sorry for the dumb question, but could someone explain what the "dual modules" is and why is it desirable?

again, sorry for the dumb question, but I am obviously a noob on here but I wanna learn.

Egnater modules are called duals because they have two channels. So if you have a Mod 50 then you have access to 4 foot switchable channels.

Shinozoku said:
The older Lynch Boxes had some mods done to the power section to sound more Marshally, but I think they're standardizing all the newer ones [to sound the same as a basic RM100]

Does anybody know roughly where in the serial # range the change over took place?

The newer ones... I know mine is like this made in Nov 08... power section is the same as the RM100s on the eq end. It seems like it's basically style and the modules that make the Lynch Box the Lynch Box. It comes with JJ E34Ls, but I've got to say so far with the 6550s I don't miss them.

If you use the EL34s use the Ruby EL34-BHT or the SED =C= EL34. which on your side of the pond is more what you're used to.

iekobrid said:
Shinozoku said:
The older Lynch Boxes had some mods done to the power section to sound more Marshally, but I think they're standardizing all the newer ones [to sound the same as a basic RM100]

Does anybody know roughly where in the serial # range the change over took place?

I have a local opportunity to buy a Lynch head with S/N 0705R4018. Anyone have a guess which version of the power section it has?

not sure whem the change occurred... never even new about it... i do know that one of my heads is from 06 and the other is from 08. I cannot tell if there is a difference as I run EL34L's in the 06 and 6L6 in the 08.

If there is a difference I guess it equates to the head still sounding great.

I emailed [email protected] to ask if some of the older RM100LBs' internal components were indeed different from standard RM100s, and if so, whenabouts the change to standardization occurred.

Here is the response from [email protected]:

"There was no difference to the [Lynch] power section, though it does come stock with different power tubes.

The difference for Kirk?s is [also just] cosmetic."

iekobrid said:
I emailed [email protected] to ask if some of the older RM100LBs' internal components were indeed different from standard RM100s, and if so, whenabouts the change to standardization occurred.

Here is the response from [email protected]:

"There was no difference to the [Lynch] power section, though it does come stock with different power tubes.

The difference for Kirk’s is [also just] cosmetic."

Thanks. So the plot thickens...

I don't think there's any plot here. I have read in several informal sources that the power section was tweaked for Lynch but....

It has been stated by numerous Randall employees that the only difference in the Lynch box were cosmetics and shipping with JJ E34L instead of 6L6s

I believe the Hammet thing is a little different, it has a change in the negative feedback section of the power amp for more low end thump (changed Density control.) This change apparently became standard production on the RM100 sometime in 2009.....I think it was RD/Steve who stated that.

Originally they were going to use the Heyboer transformer in the LB, but apparently George couldn't tell the difference sonically between it and the stock Randall Chinese clone, so to keep costs down they stayed with the stock.

well let me tell you

i must have an earlier version lynch box as it sounds very different from my egnater mod 100.

the egnater mod 100 just has a different transformer compared to the standard rm100

too me the lynch box even with 6l6 has a much more marshall flavor than the mod100 running el34s

i find that the lynch box sounds awesome for anything modules for brit. and the mod100 with 6l6 sounds great for american highgain.

i need to check the serial number on my lynch box.

and the tapers of the presence and depth are very different as well.

you need to run the depth much higher on the LB to get comparable oomph. but on max both are about equal on the lb and the mod100. i guess the taper is slower on the lb.