Mod Request

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julia

Reaction score
I know this is going against the grain here since the majority are metal players.... but Pete, can you make a preamp module that will at least somewhat approximate a Dumble :?:

:runs and hides:

I've been hanging out at The Gear Page too much. I've got some Robben Ford albums, and actually saw Robben Ford perform at Larry Blakes in Berkeley CA back in 1979. I've been listening to SRV lately. Both play(ed) Dumbles -- SRV Vibroluxes and Marshalls as well. And I'm getting a Strat (not an HSS) for my birthday.

See I've got a sickness that started last Saturday when I spent my entire practice time on the clean channel of my 5150 because the tubes in the LB were tits up. This should have been a sure sign I needed an intervention, because does anyone ever use the clean channel on a 5150??? and play one with single coils?

Now that the lights are back on with big glass in the LB I'm craving Fender and Dumble tones but I want the Fender to behave like a Marshall but sound like a Fender. And I NEED a Stratocaster (or a G&L Legacy) and my birfday is coming up next month and I'll have a little left over from the Strat or G&L for this thing.....

But I don't think I'll have enough for a G&L + mod on the LB + COD. I've got a Deluxe module we could use as a starting point.

And I may have to fork out money for Heritage G12-65's for that Fordabee sound. and four of those ain't cheap.

Back to Texas Flood......

It never ends. Jeff at Egnater is doing a super dual mod to my RM100 and now I need a TM412 cab when i get it back. Then Jeff creates a SL2X module that I... umm yeah.....Need....no really stop laughing....

The COD is what u want. It still sounds good through a RM100 with out the dual mod, you just have CH A. later if you can get the mod done to ur RM100. OMG the COD with 6550 tubes, you will luv it.

My buddy and I have been working on SRV tunes for awhile. We both were working on Texas Flood, but I handed the baton to him and I learned the bass part for it. That song is challenging at our skill level, but it's coming along. I'm not totally missing out though.... I got Pride and Joy, Look at Little Sister, and The Sky Is Cryin'. :wink: Plus some Kenny Wayne Shepard tunes I've been kickin' around. I dig that ****.

I was trying to get SRV tone on a Blackface with a blues driver, and now on a Tweed... but somethin' ain't quite right yet.

COD, huh.... I'm gonna have to check that out.

COD is Bruce Egnaters Dumble /Mesa tone. I luv it. Also does David Gilmour Hiwatt tone really well.

I've got a JTM that is chimey enough but it breaks up a little too fast. The Blackface (I don't have the module but I've got a modeller for it) doesn't break up enough. The Deluxe was a little too bottom heavy, but then I checked the tubes inside and there was a Sovtek 5751 and a Sovtek 12AT7 in it. I pulled them.

I'm trying one of my ANOS Mullard 12AX7 in my Deluxe V1, but I don't think it's going to be quite right. Maybe this will help because that Mullard is bright. JJ in V2. But then I still don't have my Strat.

There is just something about a Dumble.

Pete --- I've got a couple of potential module names:

Fordabee
SRVaughnabee

Texas Flood is a bit rough for me, but you know what they say... you won't get it if you don't do it. Learn the words, then make it your own. Steal everything possible from Buddy Guy and Hubert Sumlin.

And come up with a "blues name" for yourself:

1) Physical Attribute: Fat, Blind, Shoeless, Crazy, Stumblin', Smokin', Drunk... you could also use "Freight Train"
2) First name, Geographic location (note: you cannot have the blues in LA or anyplace it rarely rains), or first and middle initials if they're "JJ"
3) Name of a president

"The blues ain't nothin' but a good man feelin' bad."

How's come I can't find any Egnater module audio clips.... any really, but specifically, the C.O.D.?

Egnater COD already has you covered. I bought a boutique Dumble clone (brown note) and played with it a bit... pretty fun amp, but I liked my other stuff better. Check out the Mark clip I have on my website, might be able to get close with one of those just because a mark series mesa and a dumble IMHO are maybe not exact, but certainly in the ballpark. Both are basically hotrodded fenders. If you look at the timeline for the Mark I boogies and the early Dumbles, almost makes you wonder if Mesa had a look inside a Dumble...

Pete

Okay, but the mod on the amp means I'll be without amp for several weeks, $450 for the modification and another $400 for the COD. Ack!!!

I just bought a used immaculate USA G&L Legacy today. It's on layaway and I should be able to get it next month. $699.

So it'll have to be something like a Mark. Pete check your E-mail.

BTW, they gave me my "blues name" -- Barefoot Bessie Mae Jones. I hate wearing shoes. I don't wear shoes when I play anywhere -- I wear ballet slippers.

Julia said:
I've been hanging out at The Gear Page too much. I've got some Robben Ford albums, and actually saw Robben Ford perform at Larry Blakes in Berkeley CA back in 1979. I've been listening to SRV lately. Both play(ed) Dumbles -- SRV Vibroluxes and Marshalls as well. And I'm getting a Strat (not an HSS) for my birthday.

See I've got a sickness that started last Saturday when I spent my entire practice time on the clean channel of my 5150 because the tubes in the LB were tits up. This should have been a sure sign I needed an intervention, because does anyone ever use the clean channel on a 5150??? and play one with single coils?

Now that the lights are back on with big glass in the LB I'm craving Fender and Dumble tones but I want the Fender to behave like a Marshall but sound like a Fender. And I NEED a Stratocaster (or a G&L Legacy) and my birfday is coming up next month and I'll have a little left over from the Strat or G&L for this thing.....

But I don't think I'll have enough for a G&L + mod on the LB + COD. I've got a Deluxe module we could use as a starting point.

And I may have to fork out money for Heritage G12-65's for that Fordabee sound. and four of those ain't cheap.

Back to Texas Flood......
Julia, the gear page will do that to you!!! :lol: ....If you want Dumble tones, The Wampler Ecstacy pedal, or Jetter GSRed will do those....very well...Just run them in a clean channel....The Super V in my Lynchbox works well with those pedals....I owned 3 Two Rocks, and these pedals sound as good or better than the real thing.........and if you want to go over the top, get an Ethos TLE...I've heard the Egnater COD does this as well, but they're a lot more $$ :roll:

Yeah just get a used COD and use ch A for now. I used it with my Randall RM100 before the mod with a mix of e34l and 6l6's and it sounded incredable. Actually an understatment. Ch B is great for that gilmour hiwatt lead when u do get the mod. A Randall mod, and having it modded will be aboout the same as a used COD.

here is a youtube link to a COD module. It is a little bitey and not as warm as I run mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig7uyUVaMUU&feature=related

Here is one with a Robben Ford guitar and COD. not as brite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmKmddhBnhg