Best module for pedals?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarguy510

Reaction score
I'm assembling a pedalboard and was curious what module people thought takes pedals the best? I think Ned said the modded TopBoost was good, does the blackface work well? I have a bunch of effects (starting a REAL pedalboard lol) and I was curious what modules work best with pedals. I'll write out all of them when I get home, but I have about 6 or so now. :)

Are the pedals distortion/OD effects or time-based stuff (chorus, delay, phaser/flanger stuff?). If you're using dist/OD, you'd probably want the cleanest platform you could find, like your "blackface." If it's just time-based, I don't suppose it'd really matter. Be ready to experiment with your time-based stuff both out front and through loops - things like phasers and flangers get waaaay too pronounced (aka sound like jets taking off) if you don't run them out front. Delays are definitely in the loop IMHO but there are no set rules.

One of the things that surprised me after getting my RM50C was how good my wah sounded with the "recto." In my experience, the dirtier the channel, the less vocal or throaty the wah's voice is.

FYI, my pedalboard used to be so big it was housed in a Rickenbacker hardshell converted to pedalboard, and it took two power supplies to run all the crap inside (I won't even attempt to list everything but it was a miracle my signal ever hit the amp).

I've purged down to just a Tech 21 Killer Wail Wah, a Voodoo Labs Proctavia, an old MIJ Boss compressor/sustainer and a MIJ Boss Super Phaser, the one with the two-mode rotary switch. Mode II allows me to fake a flanger half-assed. I was thinking about adding a delay but I'm so impressed with the RM's reverb (lush but transparent) I'm in no rush to go get one.

So I'll take you through my rig. I play in a cover band and use FX to get as close as possible to the fx on the record but I only use a couple flavors of distortion/OD and don't try to match that to the record.

In the serial loop I run a Line6 Mod Pro and a Boss DD-3, both are switched into the signal chain via Axess GRX4. Both work well with TB, Plexi and Eggie SL - haven't tried any others.

In front of the amp I run a OD808, Silver LTD and a OCD. The LTD is only used with the TB, TB set to clean LTD set to mild OD. The OD808 is used with the TB, Plexi/SL and LTD either for solo boost or inbetween the LTD and Plexi. The OCD is used to boost the Plexi/SL module. These are switch via a second GRX4.

Here is a picture of my pedal board before moving to the rack. Board now contains the wah, Strobo and Axess MFC5 midi pedal.

pedalboard.jpg

Sorry I forgot to list my effects! lol Here's what I have right now:

Morley Bad Horsie II, DNA Analogic Gain Fxxker II (Japan), Whizzer-Modded Boss SD-1, Antelope Morning Dew EQ, Fulltone Choralflange, Digitech DigiDelay, and a Paul Cochrane TIM (on order).

Do you guys think running the OD or High Gain (GF II is a high gain pedal) would work better through the Blackface or the TopBoost? I am angry because I've been without an amp for 2 weeks now because this kid STILL hasn't shipped me my VHT so I have all these pedals and haven't tried half of them out yet! Just curious what you guys thought. I plan on using my SD-1 for both OD on the clean channels as well as a Zakk Wylde-esque boost on the Plexi channel. I can't try out my Gain Fxxker yet but I've heard good things, and I got it used so I won't really get hurt if it isn't my cup of tea and have to sell it. Also, what is the difference between the serial loop and parallel loop? I always just used one for delay, I wasn't sure what the other one was for! :oops: lol Thanks guys!

Ned, do you switch the EQ in and out? I'm contemplating using an EQ like that to do a curve similar to yours to make the Top Boost selectively more midrangy so that it sounds more like the Plexi when I want.

Gary-

Yes. Currently it's not in the rack as I'm waiting for my second GRX4 but I was using it for solo boost on both channels.