What is up with the Brahma???

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steel City Psycho

Reaction score
I have had one backordered since 2-22-2009!!!

It's not from MF, but I keep checking MF for updates and every time they say their going to have them in stock it gets kicked back another month...

And every time I called the place I have it BOed they give me the same line "We'll call Randall and call you right back..."

They have never called me back...once.

I don't feel I am getting screwed because of observing the MF back order status.

I am an extremely patient person, but

What the hell???

The place said they will have it drop shipped to me from Mundelein.

Can someone from Randall tell me if I am in line for one to be drop shipped if I email them or call with my name and who I purchased it from, because I can not get a straight answer from them.

If Randall has no info, I am asking for a refund...

I took me a good a couple of months before I got one used that is. I feel your pain. If I still had it Id sell it to you quick!!!!! :wink:

insightibanez said:
I took me a good a couple of months before I got one used that is. I feel your pain. If I still had it Id sell it to you quick!!!!! :wink:

Yeah,

I had one for a day and absolutely loved it, but the gain pot was messed up so I returned it...

If I knew it was going to take this long I would have kept it and sent it to one of modders for repair...

Bronco said:
I have a Dave Friedman modded Brahma for $200...pm me if you're interested.

~Bronco

What does this mod do for the Brahma? I have a RM50 on the way with a SL+ in it but have been intrigued by the Brahma for months.

On the older Brahma modules this mod corrects the capacitor arrangement. On the newer Brahmas this has already been done at the factory.

This is the corrected Brahma:

P1010006.jpg

It's pretty funky looking, but that's the way it should look.

Would you happen to know the values of those bigger caps, Julia? Or is that a pic you got from somewhere else? I'm interested in screwing around with my SL+ :p

Julia said:
On the older Brahma modules this mod corrects the capacitor arrangement. On the newer Brahmas this has already been done at the factory.

This is the corrected Brahma:

P1010006.jpg

It's pretty funky looking, but that's the way it should look.

I wonder if that was done because there is no capacitor with the exact value as the measured capacitance on that C3 position? It sure looks cool.

That's mine. I took these pics and sent them to Dave and he confirmed this is the mod, and is as he put it "very close" to his mod, which to me on my budget means close enough for government work. This is a photo of the factory stock Brahma.

In reading this thread, it gave me the idea...

Why don't they hire guys like Pete (okstrat) to do months of research on these modules (esp. the upper line stuff)

Seems to me, Pete could ferret out any design flaws.

I frown on companies that release units that are "untested".

Does anyone remember Seymour Duncan Convertable amps?

Do you remember the two heads that blew up at the NAMM show? (cirrca 1985?)

They didn't get many orders that year (the booth was deserted) and they quit making them shortly after.

Love the pickups though :lol:

In all fairness, you can get two or three different, say Marshall JCM800s made in the same month, using the same lot of parts, and they will sound different, even through the same speaker cab.

So when you build something like this for mass consumption, like these modules, you build them to have the most consistency on the average. This will serve the purpose of 90% of the owners. Then there are 10% who want more.

The modders take the stock modules and individually tweak them to have a particular sound. It is not just troubleshooting the capacitors and just slapping a different value one in it's place. Just because that cap has a value stamped on it doesn't mean it's exactly that value. There is a tolerance +/- something. The one that makes the proper sound may be on the - side so may pfs, so you gotta measure the capacitor value before you start soldering, and there's more to it than this. There's a lot of time and ear work that goes into it too. This is why the mods cost.

A company is not going to do this with every module. There will be variances.

Sound is funny. You may have gotten that 1976 JMP sound because of a certain mix of pickups in your guitar, it's wood, the speaker cab, and the way you have your amp dialed, and whether or not the planets are aligned. It may not even sound like a 1976 JMP, but only like the sound clip you heard which face it. It's a sound clip. Ears are different than mics, and there are hundreds of different speakers.

Once Dave told me how to dial the Brahma, it became a "go to" module for a particular sound. But even still it won't sound like Lynch. I don't have his guitar. I don't have his technique. It sounds like Julia playing through an amp similar to Lynch's, and I'm using 6550s so that's another difference.

well unfortunately...during a change in personel...the ball was dropped and we are waiting for the arrival of the faceplates.

once the arrive...everyone will be getting their brahma's.

yeah what is up with the brahma how hard can it be to make some face plates, I ordered mine in august and each time I am told a different reason for why it is being pushed back. First it was parts, now it is face plates. I'm still waiting.

I think it's pretty interesting how these music shops all seem to fabricate reasons for it being late, while RD/Steve just posted the reason.

Just goes to show: never trust the guy behind the counter!
(I know that.. I've stood there :p)

But seriously, someone is making up stories as to why the Brahma isn't getting delivered, Randall should really keep an eye on this as it's very easy to gain bad rep in this way. (and once that happens you're screwed)