Can anyone compare the SL+ to the Mr. Scary Module??

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod

Reaction score
I have a Mr. Scary, and I love it, but am wondering if the SL+ is different enough sounding to purchase one?? {I'm into classic tones, not metal}
I also have a Brahma..is the SL+ just a higher gain Brahma, or different as well??

SL+ sounds more like a JCM800 when you turn the gain up to about noon. Over that it's like a hot-rodded Marshall. This is my "go to".

Mr. Scary is the Lynch Late Dokken to "Wicked Sensation" sound. In a box right now because I'm working Marshall and Mesa. Soldano-like comes out another time. This is not at Soldano as Pete's SLODANO, though which is tuned to his SLO.

Julia said:
SL+ sounds more like a JCM800 when you turn the gain up to about noon. Over that it's like a hot-rodded Marshall. This is my "go to".

Mr. Scary is the Lynch Late Dokken to "Wicked Sensation" sound. In a box right now because I'm working Marshall and Mesa. Soldano-like comes out another time. This is not at Soldano as Pete's SLODANO, though which is tuned to his SLO.

That's probably pretty accurate, but I think the original version of SL+ needs to be considered too because I'm sure they're still out there in the used market.

Julia, I don't listen to any of Dokken's music, other than to say that I get a much fatter sound than he does normally..I use more mids, with a different playing style, and LP type guitars......Could you tell me the tonal differences between the 2??? Thankx...

It is in the mids mainly IMO

The SL+ midrange is more focused .
The Scary mids kinda have a more soft compressed sound almost a ."squish to them.

The bass is a little tighter on the Sl+
The Scary is more open

SL+ is tighter and has more usable bass.

mr.scary is much more open overall and also has some kind of dark quality to it that is hard to explain.

i usually use the SL+ when i need a tight ryhthym sound and scary is for a looser feel and solos.

Your "fatter" sound could simply be the pickups and guitar body. Lynch's ESP is a Maple body and Neck w/ maple fretboard. His signature Duncan Screamin' Demon is very trebly, and is a medium output HB:

Bass 5, Mids 4, Treble 9 -- this makes for a very bright and not at all fat tone.

What I'm playing is a Duncan AHB-1:

Bass 6, Mids 5, Treble 8 in an Alder body w/ maple thru neck, ebony fingerboard.

Or an JB:

Bass 6, Mids 5, Treble 8 in a Mahogany body/neck w/ rosewood fingerboard.

Or a Gibson SG Std.

Or a Fender Mustang.

Mine is also a 2008 model. Then there's the amp settings. And the fact I'm using 6550s which have a fat tone. I use either the Dano CTO or TS808 or an EQ for solo boosts. I tend not to switch modules for solos. I'd do fine with a single channel amp, but I'd need three or four of them and different brands, which is why I got the LB.

Describing tone is very difficult. Let's put it this way... the SL+ nails the the Marshall JMP tone, and with the Schecter C-1 Hellraiser with the JB you might as well grab a can of Aquanet since at that output the module gets really tight into that chainsaw grind.

The Mr. Scary has a more singing character.

I have both and I would say the sl is much smoother and sits back in a good way. A sound is hard to describe but the scary to me is more in your face and the mids stick out more than the sl+. Don't get me wrong the Sl is a great hard rock tone and my favorite so far. I can tell you that yes they are a different sound if you want to keep both.

All I can tell you is that the SL+ rawks with a ESP Alexi Signature V.

If you pick up the SL+ get a 2008 or later model -- these come with the JCM800 mod as standard from the factory.

Mike361 said:
I have both and I would say the sl is much smoother and sits back in a good way. A sound is hard to describe but the scary to me is more in your face and the mids stick out more than the sl+. Don't get me wrong the Sl is a great hard rock tone and my favorite so far. I can tell you that yes they are a different sound if you want to keep both.
Mike thanks...That's a helpful explanation...The Scary to me is really sort of in your face..like a SLO 100....great...SL+ is next...Who's a good modder for these??

If you've got the EG4 coming you probably don't need the SL+ since Egnater took the SL2 and smoothed it out and darkened it a little bit. So if you're getting the 4 channel wired up to work, it'll be the like a Lead.

You might want to wait until the EG4 arrives before you do anything with the Mr. Scary. I know GAS is really forceful, but take some GasX and wait.

It's like I want so much more right now myself, but I've got to pay $800 on a bill + my auto insurance + tags this month. I can cover it, but I get stressed out when this stuff happens. Then next wk I get my G&L Legacy. Then I've got to file my taxes for this year before Oct 15, and work out a payment plan. It's not much but when you're on a fixed income you do these things.

Thanks for the advice Julia...I'll wait for the EG/4..... I didn't know the connection of those 2 preamps.....great info!! I used to have GAS for amps, now it's Modules!!! some things never change :roll: :roll:

Julia said:
If you pick up the SL+ get a 2008 or later model -- these come with the JCM800 mod as standard from the factory.

I thought that I already asked this but I can't seem to find it. I have a single Egnater SL+ module coming. Would this have the mod already completed on it?

A little cut & paste from another post...

"I got my SL+ from vindaloo yesterday. He did the JCM 800 mod on it, and while I've never owned a JCM 800, it definitely has that flavor. Probably a little "gainier", but otherwise pretty close. I screwed around with it quite a while, and found that the best sound I was getting was when I had the gain at about 10:00-11:00, and hit it with a Boss Super OD, with the gain at 9:00, and the level at 3:00. WOW! I did the same thing with the Plexi, and also got great results. I tried to fins a sweet spot with my MXR CAE Clean Boost/OD, but at the end of the day, the $50 Boss pedal sounded better to me. Al bit noisier, but it nialed 80's tone like nothing I've owned before.

As far as the SL+ vs. Mr Scary - very different voicings, yet still similar. Odd description for sure, but very true. The Mr Scary is darker and a bit more dynamic, but lacking the low end the SL+ has. I dial back the low end on all my modules though - I don't like my amp to "thud". I find bass-heavy EQ to just seem flubby, no matter how "tight" you perceive it to be. I try to find my power in the mids."

One other observation - I would say that the gain in the Mr Scary is a bit "smoother" - almost Mesa-ish, where the SL+ is more "grainy" and crunchy.

LOL all three of those songs are in my Ipod.

What can I say I LOVE THE 80s ROCK. 8)

Thanks for posting those Julia, btw I own a replica of that guitar that Lynch is playing in the first video.

Julia said:
Brahma (I love this song): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esfyjjG73RI

SL+: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph8kGPXOoUw

Mr. Scary (Sorry guys, I gotta say I love the vocalist and Lynch) -- warning this one is louder than the last two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEMeB2N8dic

Try to equalize the volumes and you'll get the general idea.
Thanks for the sound clips.....I was never into 80's rock, but I gotta say that George Lynch really took that Van Halen style of playing to a whole different level...That Wicked Sensation solo is just KILLER

It dont get much better than Lynch. Each of his modules covers different periods of his playing. I like the Boosted Brahma the best but the Grail comes in close 2nd! 8)