Recording with my Randall T2

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nephilim29

Reaction score
Hi there dudes. I' m an owner of a Randall T2 head, and yesterday I had my first attempt to record something with my guitar (a Dean USA Razorback Rust) in my PC. So, I plagged an mxr cable from the direct mix output of the head, to the instrument input of my Lexicon Alpha desktop recording studio tm. The result was really bad. Ok, it was my first attempt and I confess I have no idea if this was a right method of recording. So I must ask you, what shall I do to get a good tone through my amp to the PC? Shall I mic up the sound of my cabinet? Shall I get a better sound card? Or shall I get something like a Palmer Speaker Emulator? Please write me your opinions! I really want to make a good investment for home recording, but I have no idea from where shall I start and how to use my head amp for this. As you realize, I'm really newbie at this... So, please, make your answers simple and clear (!!!)

Hi man

With regards to the T2 i believe it has a direct input as you mentioned meaning that you dont have to have your amp wired to your cab for recording. My T2 is only arriving next week so I haven't tried this method, HOWEVER i've never been one for direct plugging in anyway and prefer the old school method which always works **** good too.

I'm sure someone will give you some advice with regards to the direct connection from your T2 to the PC, but otherwise, what you need is a good mic. I'd suggest a Shure SM57 which is pretty much industry standard. Get yourself a cheap guitar boomstand also and your set.

The beauty of recording via the mic is that you can experiment on positioning of your mic. If you point the mic slightly at side of speaker it catches more low end than in centre etc etc.

Have a play round and record your rhythm at least twice then pan one left and one right and pan one in middle.

Another thing with recording via mic is that it catches real feedback (should you want it etc etc). Best thing to do is have a practice. Every home studio should have an SM57 though so I dont think getting one would be a waste of money

Guys there have been loads of posts about this over the past, have a look through the forum for info...