Grail arrived today!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyeball987

Reaction score
Of course, I am going out of town straight from work and won't be able to really give it a run through until Monday night. :x

The Grail sounds great! This will be a keeper. Now I need to get a hot rodded Marshall tone again. I traded a SL+ for the Grail.

JKD said:
Buy my JF Modded Plexi..LOL :D

Funny you should mention that. I have been talking to JF about that very module. Along with another one on here. Finger is on the trigger for one of them. They just have to stay available until next week before I can pull it.

Yeah...I just paid $250 for it...selling for $225 to pay for a Custom3 :D

Search back some of Mailman1871 posts for him raving about it .. LOL..sorry I'm not much for helping with descriptions.

eyeball987 said:
Of course, I am going out of town straight from work and won't be able to really give it a run through until Monday night. :x

Grail slays most modules, even some of the "modded" modules can't hold a candle up to the Grail !!

i've got it dialed in so good right now my cab is runnin' to the boys room to run a batch off !!

riff man said:
eyeball987 said:

Grail slays most modules, even some of the "modded" modules can't hold a candle up to the Grail !!

i've got it dialed in so good right now my cab is runnin' to the boys room to run a batch off !!

lol...what are your settings?

riff man said:
eyeball987 said:

:shock:

Awsome and funny quote love that description.

So tell me what are your settings?

I love the grail I use it more than the Mr .Scary. It more aggressive and cosistant tonally from low gain to full on gain. Plus it's got a ton of BALLS.

Still though I've never seen my cab running off to the boy's room.

I'm Jealous :wink:

khingpynn said:

Awsome and funny quote love that description.

So tell me what are your settings?

I love the grail I use it more than the Mr .Scary. It more aggressive and cosistant tonally from low gain to full on gain. Plus it's got a ton of BALLS.

Still though I've never seen my cab running off to the boy's room.

I'm Jealous :wink:

Not just you, a couple or three people have passed up the Grail..usual complaint seems to be 'not enough gain'

The Grail sounds great with all the controls at noon...adjust from there to taste...if yours doesn't then you either don't like it or there's something wrong with it.

My Settings Gain - 1 o'clock, Bass 12 o'clock, Mids 11:30, Treble to taste...usually around 12:30 to 1 o'clock...Bright On into v30s/G12h30s....

I sometimes back the gain/treble off a little bit when using EMGs.

EDIT: I also really dislike the EH 12ax7s...seem to be thin and sterile, especially in gainy modules. I put gain tested Chinese 12ax7 c9s or c8s in mine .

harsh said:
Is it just me that's not digging the Grail? :?

I didn't care for it, either, though my expectations may have been unrealistically high after reading so many glowing reviews. It had a neat tone, to be sure, but I felt it lacked the low-end thickness--and, yes, the gain--of an actual Mesa. I'm much happier with my Voodoo "Dual Rec" Recto, which is an eerily accurate take on the real thing.

IMO what the Grail does best it rhythm. For leads it needs a little push from a screamer type pedal to really shine.

Got a PM from someone agreeing, saying most stock Randall modules (barring Ultra/UXL) only do a good low/medium gain. I also got another message from one of the moderators sometime back saying something like "we cant please everyone all the time. Go to one of the modders". And that is what I'm doing!

Let me just say this, and this is just MY opinion - Randall are famous because of only one person Dimebad Darrell. His high gain Balls To The Wall tone, squeals/harmonics and agression are what made me even look at Randall. Maybe high gain IS the segment they should focus on. If I wanted a nice clean/medium gain, I would look at Fender.

Why cant there be just one AMAZING high gain stock module that'll just blow everyone away? Rant :roll:

harsh said:
Got a PM from someone agreeing, saying most stock Randall modules (barring Ultra/UXL) only do a good low/medium gain. I also got another message from one of the moderators sometime back saying something like "we cant please everyone all the time. Go to one of the modders". And that is what I'm doing!

Let me just say this, and this is just MY opinion - Randall are famous because of only one person Dimebad Darrell. His high gain Balls To The Wall tone, squeals/harmonics and agression are what made me even look at Randall. Maybe high gain IS the segment they should focus on. If I wanted a nice clean/medium gain, I would look at Fender.

Why cant there be just one AMAZING high gain stock module that'll just blow everyone away? Rant :roll:

I disagree with just about everything in your post.

There are several great stock high gain modules that don't include the XL's, and Grail. The SL+, Mr Scary, and KH3 all have plenty of gain. Not to mention that the high gain tones you hear live are often boosted. Toss a boost in front of any of those and it's way over the top. Add a boost to a Brahma or Plexi and you have my favorite vintage high gain tone.

I think MOST of people mix-up high gain and aggressive tone.

I see a lot on complaints about this or that module dose not have enough gain and then I pick up said module and think it has tons of gain (and I am using a Fender Strat). I am a little confused with this phenomenon.

I still believe some guitarist confuse gain with aggressive tone, to prove my point the Ultra gets high praise on the forms, and it should! It's a great sounding module but it is voiced more deep and in-your-face than the other modules, not because of extra gain. IMHO :!:

REMEMBER, tones you hear on 99.9% on the CD's are double or triple tracked, so a mid-gain setting will sound HUGE and monstrous. Plus, they can be enhanced with Pro-tool plug-ins (Amp farm, ect).

It's kind of a catch 22 for Randall, they are know mostly by Metal players for their high gain and aggressive amps but with the MTS series they can cover SO much more music styles than any other amp manufacture in HISTORY.

I guess Harsh was being kind of............, well..........Harsh :lol:

Personally I'm looking for a high gain but non-aggressive tone. Something violin like. I'll have to try my Grail out low gain again with a tubescreamer.

Hi gain and smoother? I am totally digging my PeteBrown at the moment...sounds killer on a wide range of material and guitars

I would think the Mark would do it too