'noise gates'

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okstrat

Reaction score
Had a few emails on this already from folks asking why I don't offer these. Figured writing this once on the board would be easier than replying each time... easier to cut and paste a link to this. : )

If you *really* want one, I can do it. Just a couple of things from my perspective:

1) it's really more of a noise reduction circuit, and it's really simple. I don't like em because I think you lose some tone. Yes, you also lose hiss. There are other ways to quiet a module that I think are less invasive tonewise. There is no such thing as a free lunch - any noise reduction methods are going to affect the tone in some way. Some people it bothers, some it doesn't.

2) It's nowhere near the quality of a real noise gate like a Decimator, or even a Boss NS2. Unless the noise gate designs in the modules are including op amps and basically a pedal built into the module (highly unlikely, prove me wrong) then a few parts aren't going to work as well.

Some people like em, you want it I can install it, but my personal modules don't have them and I personally don't like noise reduction circuits, even simple ones that fit in a module. But if someone insists, I can install and tweak them - did my first one over a decade ago on one of my Fender Champ mods. Shoehorned an SLO preamp into a Champ and wanted a way to cut noise.

Pete

I have this chrome paperweight that says ISP on it. If I've got a section where I'm not playing, yet I've got to be ready to start again, I use a kill switch. If it's short, I just keep my palm on the strings. If i'm not careful with this i'll get feedback and sometimes real bad depending upon how loud I'm playing. it was a technique I just had to learn. But if you want dead quiet in between palm mutes like this:

(fast forward to 3:30 unless you like this -- personally not my cup of tea):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeJ3jlQ4dFc

If you want this, you'll need a noise gate.

Personally I love the extra 'effect' the ISP adds when chugging..it tracks well and closes accurately....I think I'm pretty tight with muting at least...but the gate helps when I'm cranking, boosting and generally abusing gain then standing 2 feet from my cab :D

Gates on the modules...my experience is that they suck tone waaaay too much...I'm losing frequencies, they don't track so well either and change the feel...and if I can hear hit, I know it must be killing someone with a good ear.

I just saw Gojira live on Monday - I noticed that they switched channels on their EVH amps from channel 3 to 2 whenever they wanted to have a clean mute or break in the sound.

okstrat said:
"There is no such thing as a free lunch - any noise reduction methods are going to affect the tone in some way"

Pete
Hitting the nail squarely on the head.

JKD said:
"....but the gate helps when I'm cranking, boosting and generally abusing gain then standing 2 feet from my cab"

Yeah, I remember the days when I played with that much gain...even the lowest-powered potted pickup would squeal like a banshee!
I was only 18...what did I know?

One other point I'd like to address...

Noise Floor

In most clubs (and other gigs), there is usually crowd noise. People talking/laughing, beer bottles clinking/crashing/busting, the shuffling of feet, motorcycles reving in the parking lot, dogs barking, police sirens, women screaming, etc.
Even when running through the P.A., the hiss of a lead channel isn't always that noticable.
Add into the equation... the noise (hum/buzz) of the P.A. system. Some cheaper equipment can be quite excessively noisy and the building's electrical ground or flourecent lighting can bring even more noise (if you don't have equipment that thwarts this problem).

So, the noise of your rig can be a relative thing.
If you're in a quiet coffee shop playing light Jazz, you might hear the hiss plainly....but then... you'd never use that much gain in that situation (usually) would you?
If you're in a sleezy dive playing thrash metal for a bunch of 20-somethings...chances are, they'll never notice.

my 2? :wink:

if you're playing 7dust type rhythms, it's nice to have to keep it clean between the chug-chig-silence- chig-chug- especially when playing loud in relation to the room size.

I bring my isp with me everywhere, depending on my volume, room, music style, pa supplements, I'll use it if needed- first choice is not too though.

...and yes, i'll record with it for some stuff

guitarcomet said:
JKD said:
"....but the gate helps when I'm cranking, boosting and generally abusing gain then standing 2 feet from my cab"

Yeah, I remember the days when I played with that much gain...even the lowest-powered potted pickup would squeal like a banshee!

I'm almost 40...why is being 18 an excuse? ;)

Seriously..I play at home, for my pleasure..it's not hurting anyone else :D

crankyrayhanky said:
if you're playing 7dust type rhythms, it's nice to have to keep it clean between the chug-chig-silence- chig-chug- especially when playing loud in relation to the room size.
I agree with this, it's application specific. If you are at gig levels and the style/tune calls for it, there can be a lot said for the peace of mind a little help from the gate can bring. My preference is off as well, but it's a great option to have if needed.

When I use a tube amp in a live situation I gate both the front and the loop......sorry if that offends anyone..... :lol: :roll: :oops: :lol:

JKD said:
guitarcomet said:
JKD said:

I'm almost 40...why is being 18 an excuse? ;)

Gatdam whipper snapper!!!! :evil: :twisted:

guitarcomet said:

So how old are you anyway? Like 90? Alot of us old dudes love gain out the azz.......depends on what type of music you're playing...and how you use the gain...

I know it's slightly off-topic, but it's on the topic of an effect built in to the module: Would it be possible to build a tiny little reverb unit into a module? Like say, a Blackface or Deluxe? Maybe with a trim-pot on the inside to control the amount and a switch on the front to activate or deactivate.

Also, I've noticed that come modules are known to operate with only one tube (I'd like to see how this is done). This would open up room for an effects mod, especially on clean modules where fewer gain stages=less gain and better cleans.

I never like gates for guitar.
There good for keeping animals in there cage or neighbors off the lawn.

Get a good furman to clean the juice going in your rig will help tremendously,( our local clubs have notoriously bad power) an I use a mute preset when there is total silence but no gates.

i got my ultra modded by jaded faith, and it really kicks ***. i havent noticed any change in my tone at all