Lynch modules vs. stock modules??

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m0jo

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm finding it hard to get an accurate view of how the Lynch modules differ from the standard ones. So, how is..

The Grail vs. the Treadplate?
The Super V vs. the Top Boost?
The Brama vs. the Plexi?
The Mr. Scary vs. The SL+ // Plexi?

About the Mr. Scary: the Randall site says it's a tighter and gainier Brama, but some topics here say it's like a modded SL+ .. So could anyone clear that up?

I'm mostly interested in the Grail and the Mr. Scary (or actually, the SL+, but if the Mr. Scary is an improvement on that for me I'll go for that of course)

Thanks!

m0jo said:
Hi guys,

I'm finding it hard to get an accurate view of how the Lynch modules differ from the standard ones. So, how is..

The Grail vs. the Treadplate?
The Super V vs. the Top Boost?
The Brama vs. the Plexi?
The Mr. Scary vs. The SL+ // Plexi?

About the Mr. Scary: the Randall site says it's a tighter and gainier Brama, but some topics here say it's like a modded SL+ .. So could anyone clear that up?

I'm mostly interested in the Grail and the Mr. Scary (or actually, the SL+, but if the Mr. Scary is an improvement on that for me I'll go for that of course)

Thanks!

I have most experience with the Grail but I own all of these...

Grail has a tighter attack, less bass in the input makes the mids a bit more prominent/clearer and a different mid cap value...also slightly lower gain which improves clarity

SuperV is the biggest change, it has lower amount of gain but the mids are scooped out to create an almost acoustic like tone...TOP Boost = Brian May, the SuperV reminds me more of Hendrix strat type tones.

Brahma has some funky changes, the gain character is the same ...some compoent changes make the compression happen differently and I want to say the mids are slightly more scooped...it has better clarity than the Plexi too.

Mr Scary sounds more SLO'ish than Marshall...it's also a very mid heavy module....sings very easily but the high end is open and raw...designed to respond around Lynch's SD pickup it cleans up nicely...Lynch runs these with the tone controls and gain very high...if you do that on an SL+ it sounds thick and muddy. Make no mistake, the Scary is the Dokken 80s sound!!

JKD said:
m0jo said:

I have most experience with the Grail but I own all of these...

Grail has a tighter attack, less bass in the input makes the mids a bit more prominent/clearer and a different mid cap value...also slightly lower gain which improves clarity

SuperV is the biggest change, it has lower amount of gain but the mids are scooped out to create an almost acoustic like tone...TOP Boost = Brian May, the SuperV reminds me more of Hendrix strat type tones.

Brahma has some funky changes, the gain character is the same ...some compoent changes make the compression happen differently and I want to say the mids are slightly more scooped...it has better clarity than the Plexi too.

Mr Scary sounds more SLO'ish than Marshall...it's also a very mid heavy module....sings very easily but the high end is open and raw...designed to respond around Lynch's SD pickup it cleans up nicely...Lynch runs these with the tone controls and gain very high...if you do that on an SL+ it sounds thick and muddy. Make no mistake, the Scary is the Dokken 80s sound!!
Thanks a lot! That clarifies the whole deal a lot. :D

So now I'm wondering how big the gain difference in the Grail and Treadplate is. What setting on the Treadplate resembles the Grail maxed out? (the extra clarity on the Grail makes that hard to compare I'd think.. but still)

I think I'm gonna go for the Mr. Scary, it sounds like the perfect module for different sounds I need. Originally I wanted the SL+ for Zakk type stuff, does the Mr. Scary pull that off or does that warrant having them both? :) (listening to the actual Mr. Scary song's sound makes me think it'll do that fine.. but that depends on how close the sound of the module is)

Something makes me think Mr. Lynch likes his mids! :lol:

Doesn't really matter on the Grail since the Treadplate sounded like fizzy junk to me in higher gain settings...but there are only I think 3 component differences.

I think the Scary mids are a little higher than Zakk tone but I'm not an expert on Zakk tone..I think he uses a pitch shifter to get some chunk or something...the Scary doesn't immediately remind me of that.

JKD said:
Doesn't really matter on the Grail since the Treadplate sounded like fizzy junk to me in higher gain settings...but there are only I think 3 component differences.

I think the Scary mids are a little higher than Zakk tone but I'm not an expert on Zakk tone..I think he uses a pitch shifter to get some chunk or something...the Scary doesn't immediately remind me of that.

Yeah that's what I thought on the Treadplate, there's more gain, but it's useless. Well that clears that one up. :)

Zakk tunes down and uses steel bridge-cables as strings ;) 010 - 060 and 011 - 072. So that's never going to happen on my Ibanez S with 010-052, but still. I'm just gonna go for both and I'll see if I ship one off to the Czech Republic after a while or not. ;)

Thanks again, I know what to get now at the end of the month. ;)

Lynch's Duncan Screamin' Demon is a medium/hot output humbucker that's moderate on the bass, a bit light on the mids, and heavy on the treble. If the Mr. Scary is voiced for that pickup, keep this info in mind when you set up the module. Also keep in mind that Lynch plays a very bright maple body/neck guitar.

Don't feel bad if it takes a couple months to dial in a tone. It took me three months to dial in this amp right.

I have never played a SL+ or a grail.
But I have played most of the high gain modules and a lot of the modded ones. I never liked a recto or a treadplate. But loved my dual rec....
I like the Scary (stock+modded) a lot ! It even sounds great downtuned. I like it?s charakter. I owned this one 3 times ! Now it?s a modded one by DF "how it should sound" ! :lol:

Julia said:
Lynch's Duncan Screamin' Demon is a medium/hot output humbucker that's moderate on the bass, a bit light on the mids, and heavy on the treble. If the Mr. Scary is voiced for that pickup, keep this info in mind when you set up the module. Also keep in mind that Lynch plays a very bright maple body/neck guitar.

Don't feel bad if it takes a couple months to dial in a tone. It took me three months to dial in this amp right.

Thanks for the tip(s), I'm upgrading the pickups in the Ibanez to Bare Knucle pickups Miracle Man or Nailbombs soon, running on an EMG H4a in the neck and an SD JB now. I knew about the character of his pickup but I don't aim to get his sound (because it's futile), just using it as a reference. :) I'll get some more chunk with those pickups compared to his, but I like that! :)

I also play a lot of Rage Against the Machine with my band (we're not a cover band but just enjoy playing it ;) ). With my ash stratocaster with hot-single coils I think the Mr. Scary would be a great module for that as well. :D
Edit: this is just an observation, RATM is not the sound I'm after. ;)

RATM: Marshall JCM800 2205 tones with the "Arm the Homeless" Franken-Strat loaded with EMG 81/85.

But if you want an angry single coil sound, you might consider something with P90s.

Julia said:
RATM: Marshall JCM800 2205 tones with the "Arm the Homeless" Franken-Strat loaded with EMG 81/85.

But if you want an angry single coil sound, you might consider something with P90s.

No I guess you misunderstood, I have an strat with high-output custom singlecoils (high output for singles that is), and they nail the sound perfectly for as far as the guitar goes. Tom Morello also uses some tele's with singles mind you. ;) And as for the arm-the-homeless songs I could use my Ibanez, but it sounds fine with the strat. :)
So yeah either the SL+ or Mr. Scary will get me there amp-wise, I'll just see which is better. But it's just jamming between our own songs anyway so it doesn't matter much.

Oh and I deeply dislike the tone of P90's :lol: The midrange character is totally not my thing...

JKD said:

He runs a mild Chorus all the time along with his overdrive goin into his JCM800s loaded with GT 6550's into cabs loaded with 200/300 watt EV speakers. Everything in his setup (right down to his LP) is aimed at getting some CHUNK in his sound.

Shinozoku said:
JKD said:

He runs a mild Chorus all the time along with his overdrive goin into his JCM800s loaded with GT 6550's into cabs loaded with 200/300 watt EV speakers. Everything in his setup (right down to his LP) is aimed at getting some CHUNK in his sound.
He doesn't run the chorus all the time. And he uses only the signature 300 watt EV's now, I guess he didn't have enough headroom with the 200's! :lol:

But yeah as you said his entire gear from his speakers to his strings is aimed at chunk, add his thick fingers to that and you know you can fuggedaboudit. ;) But I'd just like to approximate the type of tone and feel, my style is very influenced by him and everytime I play solo's on a JCM800 with an overdrive it gets me in the zone. :D But that's just one aspect of the tones I want, so that's where MTS steps in .. oh and I'm a tweaking-junkie :mrgreen:

m0jo said:
Shinozoku said:
JKD said:

He doesn't run the chorus all the time. And he uses only the signature 300 watt EV's now, I guess he didn't have enough headroom with the 200's! :lol:

But yeah as you said his entire gear from his speakers to his strings is aimed at chunk, add his thick fingers to that and you know you can fuggedaboudit. ;) But I'd just like to approximate the type of tone and feel, my style is very influenced by him and everytime I play solo's on a JCM800 with an overdrive it gets me in the zone. :D But that's just one aspect of the tones I want, so that's where MTS steps in .. oh and I'm a tweaking-junkie :mrgreen:
Actually, I've heard he does keep the chorus on fairly low all the time in an interview. Can't remember where it was though. And it very well could have been talking about his older solo disks. I mentioned the 200/300 watters because his older tones are from the 200 watt speakers.

Very true though :) I'm currently loving a nice, fat, British voiced clean with a rhythm sound based on the ferocity of a Framus Cobra, but crunchier and a bit less gain than what is normally used. I also love the classic Marshall crunch sounds, and especially the German variations on it found in ENGL and Larry amps. On top of that, I've always dug the sound of Celestion Greenbacks, but I really want my own spin on it, so I wanna make a cab based on the Framus Cobra cabinet, but with Eminence Private Jacks. So basically, I've heard sounds I love and want, and luckily with the MTS, I can get all of them in one package :)

Shinozoku said:
m0jo said:
Shinozoku said:
JKD said:

Actually, I've heard he does keep the chorus on fairly low all the time in an interview. Can't remember where it was though. And it very well could have been talking about his older solo disks. I mentioned the 200/300 watters because his older tones are from the 200 watt speakers.

Very true though :) I'm currently loving a nice, fat, British voiced clean with a rhythm sound based on the ferocity of a Framus Cobra, but crunchier and a bit less gain than what is normally used. I also love the classic Marshall crunch sounds, and especially the German variations on it found in ENGL and Larry amps. On top of that, I've always dug the sound of Celestion Greenbacks, but I really want my own spin on it, so I wanna make a cab based on the Framus Cobra cabinet, but with Eminence Private Jacks. So basically, I've heard sounds I love and want, and luckily with the MTS, I can get all of them in one package :)
Hmm, okay, he also has the Rotovibe on that board of course.. I might be mistaking that for it. Also he uses (used.. dumb move from sharon) his pedals differently on the Ozzy tours of course.

You sound very much like me haha, I love a cranked marshall lead, fender clean, then a marshall crunch and tweedish growl (for lack of a better word). And sometimes I'd just like to give it the full on mesa balls out wall of sound! :D This is impossible with any other amp. I also love the idea of being able to change your mind without having to suffer enormous financial losses or sellers remorse afterwards when you remember the tones in your old amp..

Also I play a lot of very different styles, one time it's funk, then it's (I'm ashamed to say) punk rock, and then a lot of times it's full on metal...
Any other amp requires me to choose one and compromise the others..

m0jo said:
Shinozoku said:
m0jo said:
Shinozoku said:
JKD said:

Hmm, okay, he also has the Rotovibe on that board of course.. I might be mistaking that for it. Also he uses (used.. dumb move from sharon) his pedals differently on the Ozzy tours of course.

You sound very much like me haha, I love a cranked marshall lead, fender clean, then a marshall crunch and tweedish growl (for lack of a better word). And sometimes I'd just like to give it the full on mesa balls out wall of sound! :D This is impossible with any other amp. I also love the idea of being able to change your mind without having to suffer enormous financial losses or sellers remorse afterwards when you remember the tones in your old amp..

Also I play a lot of very different styles, one time it's funk, then it's (I'm ashamed to say) punk rock, and then a lot of times it's full on metal...
Any other amp requires me to choose one and compromise the others..
Great minds think alike, and so do Randall MTS users! But then again, that's a redundant statement ;)

(I'll refrain from filling the screen with quotes ;) )

But indeed they do!

And besides, any amp that offers this versatility, for instance the Mesa Roadking will have a buttload of electronics and switches in the signalpath to give you the options. The MTS system keeps the signal path reasonably short by actually changing out the part you want to change instead of doing it with a million switches. I think this contributes to the quality of the tone. :D

The Roadking is still a majestic amp though ;) I pity the dudes having to carry it though! :shock: Heavy as hell!

Shinozoku said:
And the RM100 isn't? :lol:

Yeah okay, but have you felt a roadking? It's in a weightclass of it's owe, like you need a **** crane to get the thing on stage! :shock: