Idea for a ZL+ Zakk Lead module

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m0jo

Reaction score
Hi!

I was playing with the idea of getting one of the modders to make me a Zakk Wylde module. Basically to capture the sound of a JCM800 with an overdrive and some tweaks for his style. Not to specifically copy his sound, but more the feel.

So I played around with some photoshop and this came out:
zakkleadprotov26anon.jpg

Features:
- Based on SL+ (hence the name), some added mods to get even closer to JCM800
- Gate switch
- Tight switch (no bright..)
- Ozz / BLS switch (tweaks the eq of the module to suit the more doomy BLS sound on one and more midrangey Ozzy sound on the other)
- Blast switch (shamelessly inspired by Salvation's excellent Blast feature on the DeadPlate, to give the effect of the overdrive often used by Zakk)
- Awesome graphics based on the Grail (Bullseye LP) and his amps. :D
- Black dome knobs, because they're heavy duty like Zakk likes, and I personally don't like Marshall knobs. ;)

I based it around the idea of Salvation building it, to prevent any problems or clashes I've refrained from putting his name on it now. ;)
The knobs and switches are taken from a Salvation Dead Plate pic :)

So erm, what do you guys think? Do be gentle :lol:

I like it. Even though Zakk gets bashed (some of it deserved) I still like his tone. I would give a module like that a fighting chance in my rig.

eyeball987 said:
I like it. Even though Zakk gets bashed (some of it deserved) I still like his tone. I would give a module like that a fighting chance in my rig.
Haha yeah a lot of people are too serious in music, I see the every-second-note-pinched as something that's funny. And often he incorperates it in his own riffs very well .. so then it's part of the music, and if that's not your taste then don't listen to it. :) (not directed at you, but the bashers)

But okay awesome, and if you're not a Zakk fan you could of course take it for what it is: a tricket out and hotrodded SL+ module. ;) :D

This is something one of my buddies would be interested in (somebody who would have an EVH clean through Fane speakers, a Zakk Wylde rhythm tone, and the Necrophagist lead sound of an ENGL SE or Savage... All of which could be achieved with a Vader cab loaded with Super V's, an RM100 with 6550s and custom Deluxe, ZL-1, and ANGEL modules :p). I vote for a mod like this!

@Shinozoku: Awesome man! :D I was aiming it more at the lead sound, but it would be a slightly better choice over the SL-1 for rythm as well! :)
I have to ask though, EVH clean??

I'm busting my *** saving up for my MTS amp and modules, I've been playing them at the music shop and can't wait. :(
It shouldn't take more than 3 months max.. but it's killing me. (19 year old student .. going for the RM4+RT2/50 and I'm in europe, so yeah .. I'm triple screwed :p )
So expect a ZL-1 demo in about 4 months! ;)

@buriedorburned, me too! I hope mister Salvation will give his grace as soon as I ask him seriously. :D

Awesome faceplate! I would name it ZL+ though in honor of the SL+.

I read somewhere in this forum about having a module that covers both Randy and Zakk. If it could pull off the Randy tribute tone and the No more tears tone I would be a happy dude.

Shinozoku said:
This is something one of my buddies would be interested in (somebody who would have an EVH clean through Fane speakers, a Zakk Wylde rhythm tone, and the Necrophagist lead sound of an ENGL SE or Savage... All of which could be achieved with a Vader cab loaded with Super V's, an RM100 with 6550s and custom Deluxe, ZL-1, and ANGEL modules :p). I vote for a mod like this!

I got my ANGEl Plus last thursday and its amazing.

tehuk said:
Awesome faceplate! I would name it ZL+ though in honor of the SL+.

I read somewhere in this forum about having a module that covers both Randy and Zakk. If it could pull off the Randy tribute tone and the No more tears tone I would be a happy dude.

Shinozoku said:

I got my ANGEl Plus last thursday and its amazing.

Uhh .. what the hell happened there, I must be drunk or something haha.
I meant to call it the ZL+ and something went wrong there, I'll go and fix that ;)

Hypothetically speaking, putting the switch in Ozz mode and then tweaking the EQ (less bass, more mids and highs) you should get a fairly good Randy tone I'd think.. Blast off though, since Randy didnt boost with anything afaik.

Is the ANGEL actually out already? :O Awesome, can't wait for clips!

*starts up photoshop*

Edit: Christ, the font I used doesn't actually incorperate a "+" character, so I had to fashion one from 2 "-"'s, one turned 90 degrees and fattened up. For the actual faceplate I'll have to put some time into making it fit in more...
Opening post is edited with new picture.

I was working on my SD-1 before starting the original idea off, I think it crept in there haha.

Its pretty cool looking but it seems fairly redundant.

Theres a vid on youtube from "the tone king" who does an ab of the sl+ vs a real jcm800 and the difference is simply that the sl+ has more gain...so its basically a jcm800 with a boost built into it. Unless im mistaken, doesnt Zakk just use a jcm800 with a boost?

Good stylish job! It has some mojo ;)
only few notes (for showing typical design?s discussion in Salvation mods):

H: great chops man! Looks like real Zakk signature
A: Yeah, I tried....
H: Only couple of notes, like usually ;)
A: Holy cow :roll:
H: ZL-1 and ZakkLead, twice the same, why on so small area like faceplate?
A: You always must have something :twisted:
H: Is it only for lead?
A: Of course not.
H: But everybody will think, that is ONLY for lead.
A: hmmm
H: Better to try to find another name.
A: I hate you! :cry:
H: I hate this stupid gothic nazi font too.
A: But this is original. :twisted:
H: I know, this was only personal feeling 8)
A: Shut up ?n play yer guitar.
H: As you wish my lord. Go on. Again and better.
A: For these troubles, you must do some great clip.
H: Book of Shadows? ;)
A: Nooooo, you f****g country fool. Something hot!
H: OK mama, I?m coming home......

So this is normal day in Salvation mods ;)
And some technical note - switches can?t be in this place, must be higher.....
For example Mandarine had about 30 proposals for finding the right version..... this is not only put some colours and types on it. But we like this job too ;)

Nice design, I Like it a lot!!

Hyenik dis not said it exactly.
Switches are on good places, only OZZ/BLS must be in different place. Technical reason.

Mojo:If you want me to do it, PM me.
Your ideas are interresting.
Not all is quite possible but i feel it would be great module!!

Anthony

Hyenik, seriously thanks for the compliments ;)

A few touche's:

The font is like one Zakk Wylde has on his signature amps and other merchandise. Part of his style. I agree it's not the right one though, this was just the closest I had right now.

The main focus is to make it a module for lead work, this is not strange as you would often have a module specifically set up for this .. why not designed for it?

The switches position was taken directly from the deadplate picture :? (I lifted the knobs, switches etc. from it, took the perspective out and levelled them to not stand out too much)

Also I fixed the + now, it was a bit nazi-ish in the last one ;)

I study Communication and Multimedia Design, so I understand your critiscism very well. This is just a fast mockup ;) The design is way too busy and it needs more colours to pull the text out of the jumble. I tried with the Someone font on the knob labels, but it ruins the style for me.. I know which know is which, it's just pure design for me.

Apart from all my defense I have to say your modules allways look awesome from a designers point of view, very neat and tidy, balanced design and great clarity! :)
But you've never tried it with a faceplate full of bulls-eyes now have you? :D

@Anthony

Thanks! That means a lot to me :D As I said I like your designs a lot!
No problem with the switches, I was just playing with the design. You will definitly hear from me as soon as I've got the dough!

One question though: is the Blast function possible on the SL+ ? It doesn't need to be the exact thing of course, maybe something else will be better, basically an overdrive to enhance the harmonics, gain and tightness.

So after a quick font-search, what do you think of this:
zakkleadprotov28anon.jpg

I think it's an improvement but not even close to what it could be.

The orange is from the Gibson ZW custom BuzzSaw guitar. ;)
I like to keep the design true to the original though, so a combination of his two guitars is actually quite fitting while still providing a nice palette.

I am slightly colourblind though, so if that combination of orange+vintage white is horrible please tell me honestly. I have trouble with spotting that with those type of colours.[/img]

I like it actually...maybe call the blast switch 'harmonics' or something ;)

the BLS/OZ switch is right where there's a pair of big ole' caps though I think....

JKD said:
I like it actually...maybe call the blast switch 'harmonics' or something ;)

the BLS/OZ switch is right where there's a pair of big ole' caps though I think....
Hmm yeah, I was thinking blast was actually quite fitting .. because you'd turn it on when you're going to blast! .. actually that sounds kinda lame. :p

I checked it out after Anthony mentioned it. That's the next redesign step! ;)
I'll do that tomorrow though, it's 1:24 AM over here.

I just remembered, I should really ask Zakk before putting his name on there. Especially if other people want the mod as well..

ZL+ is good idea for name, now I like it.
And seriously, it is good job! Much better than typical proposals here.
So good, that Tony start to think about this mod ;)
My notes are details, that can be simply repaired. And more, these are only my subjective notes ;) Gothic font is of course OK for ZW mod.
Only I can?t understand to amp builders and their weird preference for gothic and handwriting fonts or "best" way - mixing of all fonts in one faceplate :) With Tony we had some big "handwriting" fight yesterday :lol:

edit - first BW version is clearer design imo.

hyenik said:
ZL+ is good idea for name, now I like it.
And seriously, it is good job! Much better than typical proposals here.
So good, that Tony start to think about this mod ;)
My notes are details, that can be simply repaired. And more, these are only my subjective notes ;) Gothic font is of course OK for ZW mod.
Only I can?t understand to amp builders and their weird preference for gothic and handwriting fonts or "best" way - mixing of all fonts in one faceplate :) With Tony we had some big "handwriting" fight yesterday :lol:
Haha I actually had an argument with a fellow webdesigner the other day about him using 4 fonts in one page. For me the max is 3 if you've got a lot of space. On a relatively tiny space like this, 2 is maximum number of different fonts I'd say (and then a max of 2 text sizes per font). These are theoretical rules of course, it depends on the design.

Now with the newest one I removed ZL+ from the design :lol: damnit!
I'm continuing in the morning and I'll put it back on, because it's a perfect combination of Super Lead, Zakk Lead, SL+ and "Zakk's Lead tone plus extra's". :D

I could give my personal opinion on handwriting fonts, but I don't want to piss off the builder of my future kick *** mod :mrgreen:
(veeeery occasionally I think it's okay, I think Anthony could pull it off with the skills he has and criticism from you ;) )
It's funny how each designer seems to have a criticism-buddy to give them an opinion they didn't want to hear. :D

m0jo said:
zakkleadprotov28anon.jpg

I like to keep the design true to the original though, so a combination of his two guitars is actually quite fitting while still providing a nice palette.

I am slightly colourblind though, so if that combination of orange+vintage white is horrible please tell me honestly. I have trouble with spotting that with those type of colours.[/img]

The orange doesnt read very well actually.

srrdude said:
m0jo said:
zakkleadprotov28anon.jpg

The orange doesnt read very well actually.
****, any suggestions? I do like the contrast it provides with the white..
Here's one with the ZL+ reinstated:
zakkleadprotov29anon.jpg

Normally my girlfriend helps out with colourproblems, but she's fast asleep. ;) Personally I like the orange, but then again I'm dutch so I have some weird predisposition for that..

I do really need a different font for the ZL+, this one has very ugly Z and L's, the newer one does as well I'm afraid. But I'm going to bed now, so goodnight to all in europe ;)