Mr Scary arrived today!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyeball987

Reaction score
I can't wait to hear this thing next to my JF Brahma. Looks like a night of ROCK for me!

Gainwise That thing really takes off where the Brahma stops...altho' JF Brahma has more gain/low-end than stock.

I really love my Mr Scary :d

I read somewhere the initial idea was for the Mr Scary to be a lead channel to the Brahma...

I could not describe the Mr Scary I have as "That thing really takes off where the Brahma stops" though I wish I could.

JKD are you reffering to stock modules in that statement?

I have two stock Brahmas and one stock Mr Scary... the Mr Scary to my ears has a totally different mid voice though the gain structure sounds the same there is just more of it.

Any tips or tricks to goosing this thing at all? I plan on trying it with a boost or two in front after I fool around with it straight in.

1) it will take some time for you to dial in a good tone. It's new to you. It took me 4 months to dial in three modules.

2) once you have a good tone, for a boost try a Dano Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive -- set the gain on the pedal no higher than 9:00 - 10:00.

3) if you're using a Strat try a rangemaster pedal like the Keeley Java Boost, or Diaz Texas Ranger. Note: these work better with single coils than with humbuckers on a module like this.

Julia said:
1) it will take some time for you to dial in a good tone. It's new to you. It took me 4 months to dial in three modules.

2) once you have a good tone, for a boost try a Dano Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive -- set the gain on the pedal no higher than 9:00 - 10:00.

3) if you're using a Strat try a rangemaster pedal like the Keeley Java Boost, or Diaz Texas Ranger. Note: these work better with single coils than with humbuckers on a module like this.

I have a TOD already so I will give that a shot. Thanks.

khingpynn said:
I read somewhere the initial idea was for the Mr Scary to be a lead channel to the Brahma...

I could not describe the Mr Scary I have as "That thing really takes off where the Brahma stops" though I wish I could.

JKD are you reffering to stock modules in that statement?

I have two stock Brahmas and one stock Mr Scary... the Mr Scary to my ears has a totally different mid voice though the gain structure sounds the same there is just more of it.

Yeah..I meant gain really.edited my statement..but it does complement the Brahma well.

OK got ya... I was not trying to come off like an *** and sorry if I did...

I was surprised as the Mr Scary sounds very different than the Brahma to my ears...

I definetly agree with the MS gain picking up where the Brahma leaves off.

Well at first listen, the Scary Rocks! I can only just crack it open tonight (sick kids, etc...) but it sounds great so far.

The JF Brahma is a little thicker but the MS crunches better. Both boost very well. I look forward to getting the volume up a bit to get a better feel for them.

I found out that my HBE that was supposed to ship on Friday only went out today because I checked in on it. :x Things happen. I get it but still frustrating. The Emi Super V I traded for is getting the same forgetful treatment too and didn't go out till today.

Anyway, I really look forward to A/B/Y'ing all of them.

Quick boost observation:

The TOD sounds great with all of my modules (DLX, JF Brahma, Scary). I also have the CC Drive and noticed that it seems to have more of a boost with the level set the same as the TOD. It also seems to suck out a touch more bass even with the tone control down on the Drive and bass control down on the TOD.

My Micro Amp sounds good but gets a touch harsh with the gain knob above 1:00. I might go back to using this a "on all the time" pedal and keep the gain at about noon just to keep the signal hot.

I really like what the Tone Press does for leads. I might need to look into getting some type of noise gate though. I wonder how my Tonelab LE would work in the loop being used as a delay, chorus, volume pedal, tuner, and noise gate only box? Something else to try out.

My HBE was supposed to be delivered today but the mail lady didn't feel like getting out of her van so that someone could sign for it. I am going out of town tomorrow and won't get to play it until Monday now. :x

I put some volume behind the JF Brahma and Scary tonight. I can dial in very similar tones with these two. The Brahma has more versatility and sounds a touch thicker/warmer or something like that anyway. I will keep both for now until I get the chance to try the HBE.

I was thinking of swapping the RM50 combo for a RM100 head for the extra slot but I think I am going to stick with the 50 and either pick up an E2 when it's available or grab an RM4 and run it with the RM50 power section.