Another Top Boost recording

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaryMcT

Reaction score
Still trying to figure out this whole recording thing. . been really really busy with work, but I finally got a chance to screw around with some recording stuff today.

This is my Anderson Atom straight into the Randall RM50B with the Top Boost (AC30) module along with a THD HotPlate on -16dB. Everything is at the same amp settings . .gain at about 10-11 o'clock, master at 3 o'clock. . just tweaking the guitar. The right side is close mic'd with an SM57, and the left side is an audio technica at822 stereo mic (just using one side) on the other side of the room. Both mics are plugged straight into an m-audio firewire 4-10 audio interface. I think you can really hear the power tubes cooking here with the hotplate. To my ear, the volume at -16db is almost still a little bit too loud to be practing at home without earplugs.

Excuse the playing. . . I'm more interested in hearing feedback on how to get a better recorded tone. I'm a hobbyist, so don't expect too much from the playing. :)

http://home.comcast.net/~g.mctaggart/test.mp3

Nice tone! I love the SRV style licks...maybe try with the Plexi, Tweed or Blackface for a more accurate tone. The Top Boost sounds great and is my favorite module but more so when modded, even for the Texas blues.

Keep up the recording! Sounds great!

I've been juggling between the Plexi and the Top Boost as my main overdrive module for quite a while (since I only have two slots). I always have the Blackface in there for clean stuff. I'm starting to think that I really need to get an RM4 (or M4. . probably don't want to spend that much though) so that I can have more modules!

dayn said:
Nice tone! I love the SRV style licks...maybe try with the Plexi, Tweed or Blackface for a more accurate tone. The Top Boost sounds great and is my favorite module but more so when modded, even for the Texas blues.

Keep up the recording! Sounds great!

I've been tempted to mod my TopBoost, but I think I might wait and see how the Lynch Vox module turns out and just get one of those. I can't wait to hear what that one sounds like. Apparently he really loves AC30 clean tones.

I'll record more once my 6v6's show up! I hope that works out well. I'm hoping that I can get a volume drop with the 6v6's and use the hotplate a little less so that it isn't affecting my tone as much.

Yeah I use my Top boost for that vain of funk/SRVism too. The plexi at the verge of breakup is nice too.

Best advice I can give is try to get a tone that inspires you and let it go. There's only one SRV, and this isn't the amp he used.

My next bet would be the Tweed(between plexi and blackface I would guess), or the JTM (Remeber those?)

I'm pretty happy with the TopBoost tone. The part of the SRV tone that I wanted is the chimy neck/middle sort of tone, and I think I've gotten close enough for my taste.