Tone help with my RG100ES

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PacoTheTaco

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a RG100ES head with a vox cab, and I have a mxr 10 band eq. And I need some help with the amp settings and the eq settings. Also how is the effects loop used?

PacoTheTaco said:
Hi,
I have a RG100ES head with a vox cab, and I have a mxr 10 band eq. And I need some help with the amp settings and the eq settings. Also how is the effects loop used?

I forgot to mention. I was looking for an 80's thrashy type of tone

First off what guitar and pickups are you using?
Any idea what speakers are in that cab?
And do you have any access to an OD pedal of any kind?

I have a ESP with emg 81/85 and I think there are 12" Celestion speakers
in the cab. I do not have any OD pedal.

First off, be careful with that treble knob.
Also it'll help if you can find out exactly what the speakers are as speakers make a BIG difference.

Personally I use an Ibanez TS808 between the guitar and the amp with the level at 10 and OD around 5.
Then I adjust the amps gain, IIRC I like gain 1 dimed and gain 2 around 3 or something like that (I'll have to look).

I seriously think the amp sounds MUCH better with an overdrive pushing the front end.

So I got rid of my vox and got a Basson with 4x12" Eminence speakers. At first it sounded awesome, like just how I wanted it. But all of a sudden the tone sounds like crap. Can anyone help? PLEEEAAASEE

Reverb: 2
Presence:7
Bass: 5
Middle:8
Treble (pulled out): 10
Gain: 10

can you expand on your story a little bit.

like did the amp sound great then all of a sudden while you where playing change sound?

did you try with the treble pushed in? (theres a big volume difference)

You have a boost yet?

whats in the fx loop

and so on, give us some info to work with

:) Good luck

Well nothing is in the effects loop. The change didn't happen while I was playing, just within the last week the sound changed. And what do you mean by boost?

PacoTheTaco said:
Well nothing is in the effects loop. The change didn't happen while I was playing, just within the last week the sound changed. And what do you mean by boost?

An overdrive pedal.
Like an Ibanez TS9/TS808, Boss OD-1, Digitech Badmonkey, or something like that.

Okay never mind I fixed it. I think there might be something wrong with the input jack. Because I unplugged from the amp and replugged and it sounded great.

i used to use a metalzone do drive the front end but i recently started using a Zack Wylde overdrive and it sounds realy nice out of this amp. it sounds more natural

moshkaine said:
i used to use a metalzone do drive the front end but i recently started using a Zack Wylde overdrive and it sounds realy nice out of this amp. it sounds more natural

Did you include these in the effects loop, or run them directly into the amp's input?

Any boost or effect in general should go right into the input on the amp. I use the effects loop just for a hush unit

stumbled on this looking for something its a bit late but mabie a reply will help somebody.
i run the ZW overdrive in front of the amp and a noise gate at the end of the chain because the old Randall gets noisy with it. then i use an EQ in the effects loop because it is easier to shape the tone there than it is in front of the amp. level on the OD all the way up and gain at about 50% is all the gain you will ever need. :D