Just did the .001 cap mods on my Recto and Plexi...

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldsparkletop

Reaction score
Wow, what a difference! :D I don't know what Randall was thinking using .0047 caps as stock.

I had previously replaced the stock Recto cap with a .0022 and didn't notice a big difference. Going from .0022 to .001 was a much more noticeable step, and well worth it.

The .001 cap has saved the Plexi module for me. Previously I had been very frustrated with this module, but after doing this mod, dialing in the tone I wanted was easy. I know Randall doesn't recommend the cap mod for the Plexi, but I think it sounds much better this way. Now I'm getting a good hard rock crunch, kind of like Def Leppard's second album. It probably doesn't sound as close to a true Plexi anymore, but it's more of what I think of as a classic Marshall crunch...which is what I wanted in the first place.

After doing the mods, you'll need to boost your bass and cut the treble from where you had the knobs before, but the results are great: less mushy low end, more clarity in the gain, cleaner palm mutes. Because the low end mush is gone, you can turn up the gain some more if you want.

If anyone out there is contemplating doing these mods to their high gain modules, I would strongly recommend it. Heck, you can always reverse it if it's not to your liking. I'd also recommend skipping the intermediate .0022 cap and going straight to .001.

For the record, I'm running an RM4 into a VHT 2/50/2. I'm tuned to E flat...a lot of what I use the Recto for is actually in Drop D flat.

I think one of the coolest things about the MTS series is how Bruce and Randall have been so forthcoming on educating us about cap and resistor mods. Previously this was all voodoo to many of us and we would have sent our amps off to somebody and paid hundreds of dollars for these relatively simple changes. Now we know we can do it ourselves or at least have the local repair guy do it in 5 minutes.

Gary