My room of Reference Materials ;)

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okstrat

Reaction score
My philosophy on modding isn't to just rely on schematics, because no matter what you do on an MTS module, you're still going through the Randall power section and that first preamp tube. So, I may look at a schematic for grins, but when the rubber hits the road I prefer having an amp to study. I did my VH mod from van halen clips, but it's easier IMHO to compare tonally to an amp.

Example: A Mesa mark series has the EQ up front like a fender. If I made a module off the schematic, it wouldn't sound right because there is nowhere to put the graphic EQ. (Unless I want to do tooling and custom boards and such... can't do that right now.)

So for the mark, my mod has the tone stack later, which isn't exactly like the schematic, but sounds like a mark series with a graphic EQ, which most people admit is necessary for for most of us to dial in good tones.

So what did I use to check my Mark and recto mods?

mesas.jpg

Here are a few other in my amp posse... not everything I have, but some of the major players. If I'm not doing a module currently for some that are shown, I will in the future. While clips are nice, being able to go to the source and check a module A/B with the REAL amp and the same guitar and the same player is invaluable. My opinion anyways.

marshallwall.jpg

bognerbudda.jpg

Awesome room, Pete. Definitely drool worthy! What are the three amp heads on the floor that are cut off by the photo? I'm guessing the Snakeskin is another Soldano, there the corner of another head in front of the JCM800 and what looks like another head infront of the red halfstack.
Cheers

Thanks guys. Jem is a '93, first year for the white vine with ebony.

Yeah, everyone needs more gibsons! I actually sold a LP custom a few weeks ago, the faded standard I have sounded better... every one I've played was a really nice guitar, I highly recommend them. Flame maple top, full les paul standard goodies like bound neck, and light weight. And good stock pickups!

Other amps - the snakeskin is a soldano clone I'm rewiring - bought it from a friend, I decided to gut it and rewire it, has some noise issues. Also wanted to see how close I can get to my SLO with the 'wrong' transformers just for grins. There is also a Marshall 18 watt that I built from a kit and then modded the heck out of, and I think another RM head is poking around there too.

Yup, it's a converted attic with funky walls and such. (and skylights, which are kinda cool but dirty as hell. Not looking forward to climbing up there and cleaning them.) People we bought the house from had it for their kid's playroom... I have a feeling I'm going to burn up in summer, we'll see how it goes. I'm still moving in, can't wait to have that over with.

Pete

Yep, movin' sucks. Get a little a/c unit and stick in there, Pete. I got one in my studio... couldn't survive summer without it. Plus, I wouldn't want to leave my equipment in all that heat. I'd prolly come back and find one of my guitars split in half or something.

Jethro said:
Yep, movin' sucks. Get a little a/c unit and stick in there, Pete. I got one in my studio... couldn't survive summer without it. Plus, I wouldn't want to leave my equipment in all that heat. I'd prolly come back and find one of my guitars split in half or something.

I may do that... there is heating and air up there though, you just couldn't see the vents in the pics. A window a/c unit sure wouldn't hurt! :)

okstrat said:
Jethro said:

I may do that... there is heating and air up there though, you just couldn't see the vents in the pics. A window a/c unit sure wouldn't hurt! :)

I have heat and air in my attic jam space that looks very much like yours and in the summer it is hot as balls and then freezing cold in the winter. I have to add a window air unit and a room heater to make it tolerable in the extremes. Just an FYI.

eyeball987 said:
okstrat said:
Jethro said:

I have heat and air in my attic jam space that looks very much like yours and in the summer it is hot as balls and then freezing cold in the winter. I have to add a window air unit and a room heater to make it tolerable in the extremes. Just an FYI.

So far not too bad - we had a blizzard about a month ago and really cold temps, it stayed in the 70s up there. I'm sure summertime is going to be pretty awful though without some extra cooling. Oklahoma has so many weather extremes it ain't funny.

pete

The shape is pretty cool but I think you need to funk it up a little bit. Get some wild wall decals and make it really stand out.

lolthrash said:
interesting shape room.. that a loft or the attic or something?

Pete, portable AC units work wonders. Just drop a couple 12,000 BTU rated ones in there. Keep ya cool and your electric bill up there.