So I put a 5751 into V1 of my Mr Scary

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyeball987

Reaction score
I really like the clarity and extended use of the gain knob with this in there. The Scary has been modded by JF so it was great on it's own but I read somewhere on here mentioning dropping a 5751 into V1 of the high gain modules so I gave it a shot.

Now I need to buy some more 5751's because I snagged this one out of the PI spot in my RM50 combo which I also really liked.

5751 in the V1 of a high gain module is interesting.. You notice a fair drop in gain at the same spot on the knob?

lolthrash said:
5751 in the V1 of a high gain module is interesting.. You notice a fair drop in gain at the same spot on the knob?

I noticed more clarity than anything else. I guess that could be heard as a fair drop in gain but I didn't really notice it. The module felt better to me and it was more articulate. I am going to but a 2 or 3 more and try them in some other modules to see if I get the same result.

Very little gain loss really and the clarity and definition is well worth it. The JAN 5751's are really neck in neck for gain with 12AX7's anyway. I have 2 and they are both rated hotter than several 12AX7's in my collection. Love em.

5751's are supposed to be rated at 75% the gain of a 12AX7 I have about 50 of thses tubes that are 60's vintage mostly 65. When I first got them I put them in my Mackintire modded JCM 800 4104 2x12 combo... the Mak mod gets into Soldano territory and with the Jan Phillips 5751 or even the raytheons the amp gained quite a bit of clarity... reminded me of the video with George Lynch and Friedman of rack systems changing out GL's tubes. I did notice a gain drop but not a bad thing as it was not really that much and I rearely run my preamp gain past 7... most times I'm somewhere in the 4-6 range... as I find less is more with preamp gain.

I am going to stock up on some more of these to keep on hand for other incoming high gainers and for the PI slot.

Very interesting so you use one 5751 in p1 and 12ax7 in the other two,,
where can i find 5751 in canada or the web?

djkal said:
Very interesting so you use one 5751 in p1 and 12ax7 in the other two,,
where can i find 5751 in canada or the web?

I use www.dougstubes.com. Look in the 12AX7 section and they are at the bottom of the page. Email Doug with any questions you have and he will get back to you. Great customer service with Doug! I am on may way to his site next to order some myself.

Another positive review of thetubestore..I'm in the states but I give them my business 9/10 times....only reason it's not 10/10 is if they haven't had a tube in stock or couple of eBay vendors I also trust.

Jon stands by the product he sells and has been super responsive and helpful couple of times I've had tubes go south.

I was lucky enough to find the gent who used to Own Carbon TV and Electronics repair. He is an ex Military Electronics tek... now 81 years of age.

He sol approximatly 20 000 tubes about 4 years ago. I met him through a chance meeting with another old mil tek who worked at his post mil shop.

I miised the bulk of his tubes by a week but managed to purchase around 400 tubes... 12AX7, 12 AT7, 12AU7, 5751, 6L6, 5881, El34... Mullard, Ratheon, Phillips, Sylvania, and more. It was a great find and enable me to afford such a purchase as he was very reasonable with me after making a big sale to a gent in the US who owns a tube store ( obviously... LOL ). I was then able to swap out tubes in all my amps to see what the differences are and what suits my needs best.

I've allways like the 5751 in slot one on any hi gain.

He relocated to Airdrie where I live and when he did I also got enough electronics to fill a 15 x 15 cube sized room... at a glance I see Bugle boy and Mullard tubes... I've stored all that stuff till I get a chance to strip it all.

So... Been watching these posts on 5751 tubes as replacement for the 12AX7 in the V1 position of high gain modules. The 5751 supposedly being 70% of the gain of 12AX7. So I ordered 2 to try them out. Placed my order with the Tude Depot on Tuesday and they're in the amp today. (TN to CO)

I put a 5751 in the V1 of the KH3. 1st impression is there seems to be a marked improvement in clarity. Also it is sustaining more, in fact it didn't stop until I released the bend. Great for Europa. Gain isn't effected much but so far seems more usable.

Also put a 5751 in PI position of the amp. Seems to help there too. More testing needed.

Which tube is V1 when you're facing the module (knobs closest to your body)?

Right or left?

I'm buying at least five 5751's tomorrow. One for the RM20 and four for my existing modules.

Thanks!

Mike P said:
Which tube is V1 when you're facing the module (knobs closest to your body)?

Right or left?

I'm buying at least five 5751's tomorrow. One for the RM20 and four for my existing modules.

Thanks!

Left, you van see a "V1" top right of the socket.

Thanks! I haven't even opened up a module yet but wanted to be prepared beforehand.

I dropped a 5751 into the PI slot of the RM100KH that I just picked up and it cleaned up all the 7 modules that I have in a good way. The gain knobs are more usable on all of them. The clarity is better and they take boosts better. That is my two cents anyway.

I dropped a 5751 into the Treadplate and Mr. Scary. Both modules sound great! The Scary really nails GL's tone. It's scary how close it is to the Wicked Sensation tone. :p

It cleaned up the Treadplate a bit as well. It wasn't hugely dramatic but it's a little more "open".

I'll try the amp this week as well.

5751 is supposed to be SRV's tone secret according to groove tubes

anyone drop a set of these into a Friedman HBE ?

if, not I'll be reporting back on that very soon :lol:

I have an add in the classifieds for 60 vintage 5751 preamp tunes... anyone looking I still have some.
I'd prefer to ship within canada but don't mind shipping to USA.