mr scary

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loaded dice

Reaction score
I love my mr scary I now have all four lynch modules and I would have to say the mr scary is my favorite. Just got my Brahma a couple days ago. I like it, it is perfect for rhythm and then kick in the mr scary for the lead and wow. :lol:

which one is the best/closest to a modern metal tone? possibly with a boost pedal in front? i assume the mr scary

stock I'd say the Mr. Scary for Marshall-ish tones, Grail for Recto-ish

I do like a clean boost (MXR ZW od)in front of the mods to put it over the top

cool. yea i have a maxon od808 and a zw boost depending on if im at home or with the band

would you do me the favor of detailing a few differences between the two? which has more gain? which is tighter? which has bigger lows?

im thinking im more of the mr scary type guy. but i want a tight deep low end too. lots of gain but not buzzy

eddie

I have the Grail module, and when the girlfriend is not home, and I can open up both my LB and my Marshall JVM, beside it being alot of fun, the LB definately has a major recto feel to it. I get get the bass and American Metal sound with it no problem and dude the pics on the wall shake furiously. The LB cab and speakers are just amazing kicking out the deep dark fuzz like a recto. The JVM does sound great too, but when I play newer music, the LB is the man. The JVM obviously nails the british sounds. I actually am running a Digitech RP 1000 through the amp loop right now and experimenting with some of the effects. I think it really sounds good. I am not a technical or professional musician though. Anyways, the RP has an EQ section and when I use it the LB/Grail holy cow does that drop the deeps and just hammers the chest. I put the main volume on about 7, and put the module volume on 5. It is awesome. My ears can not take it that long, but the bass and thickness can be felt through the whole body which is really cool. Thinking about this makes me want to throw my JVM onto the LB cabinet and see how it sounds. Could be really cool, and mabey give the Marshall sound a cool update to some deeper thicker sound. I will let you know.

I am also using the Mr Scary for my lead module. I also have a Brahma but I'm using a KH-2 for my main sound right now. I changed the C3 caps on the Brahma from .001uf to .0022uf but I still like the warmer tone of the KH-2 a bit better at this point. I'm not done yet with the Brahma though but it's just still a bit to bright for the Lynch Box combo.

Try running the RP 1000 in as your preamp going direct into the return of the serial loop. Check the Digitech forums for RP1000 patches, and turn off the cabinet modeling globally. They've got some killer patches, and give you another toy to play with.

I'm saying Mr Scary for classic Metal and maybe some modern metal with a retro heart... modern metal is the Grail or 1086... thought the 1086 does both quite well.

When I use the RP or GSP, I always use the "4 cable method" and it sounds pretty good. As far as the Carvin V3, without a doubt it has the best clean channel to use the effects with. Stong deep base!!!! I pretty much only bought that halfstack to use with effect units whether rack or floor. Pretty impressive stuff.

I got my Mr. Scary module last night and put about 20 minutes on it. Not too bad so far. No real opinion yet cause I could not open it up with the boss being home and all. I was lucky to get 20 minutes!!!!!! LOL Any can't miss settings for Mr. Scary???

bhugeford said:
When I use the RP or GSP, I always use the "4 cable method" and it sounds pretty good. As far as the Carvin V3, without a doubt it has the best clean channel to use the effects with. Stong deep base!!!! I pretty much only bought that halfstack to use with effect units whether rack or floor. Pretty impressive stuff.

I got my Mr. Scary module last night and put about 20 minutes on it. Not too bad so far. No real opinion yet cause I could not open it up with the boss being home and all. I was lucky to get 20 minutes!!!!!! LOL Any can't miss settings for Mr. Scary???

I always run my RP1000 with the 4CM also. As far as Scary settings go, mine has been modded by Jaded Faith but my stock settings are pretty much the same as the modded settings.

Gain - noon'ish
Bass - noon
Mid - 3:00
Treble - 2:00

I then hit it with a boost for leads. I will have to check but I believe I put a 5751 in the V1 spot too.

I have the Mr Scary and Grail stock modules - Scary has the hot rodded Marshall era vibe nailed and the Grail has a Mesa Dual Recto growl and tight bottom end and not as buzzy as a triple rectifier tone

I have 14 modules and the Mr. Scary is still my main rhythm tone.
I sent it to GIGMODS, and told Pete I wanted it closer to George's "Wicked Sensation" tone and it rocks!

Mr Scary is my main distorted lead tone... I'd like to have two so I could use it for my rythm dirt tone also... the 1086 it workikg well so far but the scary has better clarity and dimension it's simply furious.

Hey I got two stock Brahma's... any one want to trade a stock Mr Scary?

Since I am new to the MTS series I only have Mr Scary at this time for a high gain module. But it is killer sounding. I keep playing with the settings on it. Currently for a rythm tone it is set at:
Gain about 2:00 oclock
Bass 3:00 oclock
Mids about 11:00 oclock
Treb about 10:00 oclock
Vol 2:00 oclock

EMG 81 bridge in a Jackson Dinky.

I agree with khingpynn in that another one would be great to boost the mids & volume for a lead tone, although I am fixated on an SL+. Then possibly putting that in for the rythm & Scary for Leads.

I'm looking into picking up one of these. Do you guys find it's very close to the Back for the Attack tone or more like the early Lynch Mob stuff? Or is it capable of doing both? The rythym & lead guitar on a track like "Kiss of Death" is just what I'm searching for. Will this get me there?

thanks.

Andrew

The Scary will get you Kiss of Death...Hell, that's what George uses today to recreate those tones!

Unless you're blasting a stack you may want a slight od boost for edge. Keep in mind George has a unique combonation of choices in guitar woods, pickups etc.

Boos the Mr. Scary?

I just got this yesterday, and pulled the Ruby and put in a US NOS 12ax7. Loses the fizz and some treble string spikiness. What a module! Metal to the bone.

If you like the stock Scary but would like to take the tone to a higher level, Think about a Jaded Faith mod...I had it done ...It makes the bottom end tighter, it has more USABLE gain, and the bottom end doesn't crap out, and the EQ is more usable...you can turn the mids up full and it still sounds good.....,,....all for $100