Any love for the stock Recto mod???

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icarus

Reaction score
I'm writing this in order to alleviate some of my severe GAS and partly because I am a little bored at work, and it'll keep me from looking at the classifieds.

I have an RM100 with a blackface, recto, and an ultra xl with a voodoo amps sticker (not sure what mods were done on it) running through a VHT 2x12 w/ front loaded p50e's. I have it paired via 4-cable method with a Line6 HD500. The mods are left at "neutral" settings that each sound good on their own, which then are modified by the pod's eq, od's, compressors, etc. to taste. Personally, I think the setup is genius...it's very portable, it's an all in one solution, and it just plain sounds good... especially if you learn how to use the POD's various EQs and compressors. It's worked for my standard and dropped D tunings just fine.

One thing though, i've pretty much narrowed all my clean and lead/rhythm tones to the blackface and ultra xl with or without EQ, so I am trying to find a new purpose for the recto. From my experience, the recto has a more open and looser and "spiky/biting/jangly" attack than the ultra xl (recto can also achieve similar gain to the xl if gain is set higher on the recto). The recto has been good for low gain, open chord, ac/dc, and soft leads (think eric johnson's first dirty solo in "rain" except better and sweeter). So I guess what I am asking is if any of you have kept your recto and have found settings that you are absolutely happy with. If so, please do share your experience and what sounds and applications you've achieved. Sound clips and settings would be excellent too.

I've been debating about getting an SL+ or some sort of marshall mod (maybe a mash-all). The only other missing sound (without the use of pod eq) is a super heavy tight crunch (think angel e or mamba). But maybe I can just remain happy with my recto.

/RANT

P.s. Any recommended mods for the Recto that would compliment an already tight cabinet? :p

If you want recto, you should look at SM Mamba (Framus but very similar), JF Erect, SM Dreadplate or SM Deadplate....

Although it sounds like you crave a good plexi tone...And that will yield MANY results from our modders and users like myself...I happen to have a "secret" mod sitting right next to me that may be the key...More on that later... 8)

The plexi tone is defined very differently by everyone but I think an SL+ stocker would give you what you want initially although you wouldn't need all the gain...Stock plexi isn't bad either...But when you get into modded mods, the answers will be all over the park...My advice is to be very specific in what you are looking for and you'll get plenty of advice... :)

It sounds like you are happy with the stock Recto but want something different. I have been satisfied with many stockers. I liked the Rectified over the Recto and Treadplate modules Ive tried. The pro modded ones I was happiest with was Gigmods Recto(Best for my ears), JF Erect(Great tones) and SG Diablo(Awesome Organic feel!) Worst one was a SM DPlate that didnt sound too bad, when it worked, but I found it wasnt near what the others offered.
There are simple mods that have been discussed that you can do yourself to tighten or loosen the bottom end and such. If you feel up to it, start asking around in the DIY thread of this forum.

Absolutely. It's a sound that sounds super big, when you need it. I generally stick to mid-gain sounds but when you want a thick tone, use this.

Mattfig said:
...I happen to have a "secret" mod sitting right next to me that may be the key...More on that later...

I'm interested Matt... please do share your secret. :p

BigBrewtus said:
It sounds like you are happy with the stock Recto but want something different.

I think that you're right. I am happy with the tones I'm getting out of the recto... which, for a minute, I was worried whether or not I broke my ears because from the reviews i've read, the recto has a bad reputation... I thought about possibly sending the recto to be modded to a marshally/plexi type mod, but maybe I should just keep it and get another mod for the marshall stuff.

It's comforting to know that some have been pleased by their stock recto.

Hey Icarus

I've always found the stock Recto a little lacking and dark, but that's me, if you're happy no need to make excuses :p LOL

The JF Erect is the best of all Std Recto mods in my opinion, very true to the original amp and very versatile across a range of Boogie tones.

I too am a fan of the Ultra XL, its a very good stocker and even better modded.

You mention an SL+, which is actually what I was thinking might be good for you when I started reading your post. Again, in my opinion, it is the best sounding Randall stock module I have heard. Right out of the box it has attitude and character.

The Mamba kills. Its not for the faint of heart :p LOL Make sure you get one with a Diff Switch and you'll have the best high gain module Salvation has to offer. Truly a BEAST!

Food for thought, if you're thinking Framus, JF is coming out with his version of the Cobra in February. From everything I have heard this should be a great module and is highly anticipated. Might wanna keep an eye out for the sound clips once he is done

The Mash-All is one I haven't actually had in my rig, so I won't comment on it, but the JF 59RR Custom is one of the most versatile Swiss Army Knife Marshall mods I have heard. Lots of options and lots of authentic Marshall versions available in one module.

Lots of choices, let us know what you decide :)

Good Luck!

H

If the stock Recto is doing it for you, then no reason for a change. I agree with the above post, the JF Erect is very true to the original amp. Trust me...once you get some modded modules, you won't look back!

Can't wait for Robs Framus mod, I got a donor lined up as soon as I heard it was commissioned. The JF erect is killer, I need to pick up another one. I will also vouch for the 59rr, it's decades of legendary tones in one mod

Thanks for the info guys and for the more severe GAS :shock: . This is definitely setting me in the right direction though. I just might be sending my recto to Rob to experience the Erect. (giggity) Or wait to see what kind of snake Rob unleashes. As far as the Mambe SE, i'll see what pops up in the classifieds.

I've definitely had my eyes on a plexi-style mod or sl+ since i got my amp... to be specific, I'd really like to get rid of my clean mod to free up that one spot on my rm100 and I wish to replace that with a "plexi" style mod that I can set the desired gain, but get a very convincing "clean" if I roll down my guitar volume. Is such a feat possible??? Is there such a mod?

I had a voodoo modded Treadplate that I sent to Rob for the Erect and it's a very nice upgrade in tone and versatility. Highly recommended if you want the recto tone. After it came back I was really surprised at how much it sounded and felt like the real thing.

I had a stock recto modified by Rob to the Erect. The great thing about most of Rob's mods is that I can get the stock tone if I want but then there are a whole butt load of new tones to play with. That is how the erect was for me. Basically if you like your tone now but you are wanting more, go for the erect and you get your cake and eat it too, or something like that....

ricky said:
I had a stock recto modified by Rob to the Erect. The great thing about most of Rob's mods is that I can get the stock tone if I want but then there are a whole butt load of new tones to play with. That is how the erect was for me. Basically if you like your tone now but you are wanting more, go for the erect and you get your cake and eat it too, or something like that....

I think this was my main concern with modding the recto. If I get it modded, I'd still like to be able to get the same stock lead tones.

You can be pretty specific with Rob as to what you like and want to retain. He knows sounds as well as electronics. Tell him what you like about the module and also what else you want it to do. i have never been disappointed in his mods, and I have 12 of them. I think my first mod was a base mod on the tweed. It sounded to woofy. he knew exactly what I meant. I got it back and the thing was just opened up. you might even consider a base mod on your recto. I have both the Erect and the Mark X and they are light years past the recto.

So I finally took the plunge and got a good deal from Disciple for an SL+, and a modded 1086. I can't wait to have something else to compare the Recto too. I'm really leaning towards possible getting the Recto modded to the JF Erect if I find what I'm expecting out of the SL+.

If anyone is friends with Disciple, can someone please have him respond to me, I haven't heard from him since I've sent him money.

Latest posts