Any suggestions for Randall bedroom amps (e.g. RM20)?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there!

Having the Randall T2HH for use in my band I'm now looking for a smaller Randall amp for use at home (mainly for practising purposes).

For the last 5 years I used software modeller (Revalver, Amplitube, Metal amp room etc.) but I still miss something...something like the kick that only a real amp can deliver. Maybe it's just a feeling ;-)

Can the RM20 (with the ultra XL module) deliver thick metal sounds at very low volume stages or would you propose for getting the real Randall sound at home?

Thanx in advance and best wishes from northern germany!

Cheers,
Matze

WichitaFalls_Axe said:
Hi there!

Can the RM20 (with the ultra XL module) deliver thick metal sounds at very low volume stages or would you propose for getting the real Randall sound at home?

Thanx in advance and best wishes from northern germany!

Cheers,
Matze

I have an RM 22 and can't quite get there. Of course a lot of that is the speakers idling. But without a master, dialing back the pre-amp volume cuts a lot of the "thick" out of the tone. I run my amp through a Digitech RP 1000 for practice and use it's master to lower the volume without touching the amp.

Thanks for this statement - that's what I originally thought. The advantage of software modelers (apart from price and flexibility) is that you can get the "perfect" sound at ANY given volume stages...

The T2C (100W, hybrid) won't be sounding good when going for low volumes either, eh?

WichitaFalls_Axe said:
Thanks for this statement - that's what I originally thought. The advantage of software modelers (apart from price and flexibility) is that you can get the "perfect" sound at ANY given volume stages...

The T2C (100W, hybrid) won't be sounding good when going for low volumes either, eh?

Well, actually the RP 1000 allows me to use my amp's tone, bypassing the the RP 1000s amp/preamp models. So I'm using my amp/preamp, the master on the RP 1000 and some effects. So no amp modeling. Pretty cool.

A 20 watt amp will seriously piss of the neighbours at full throttle

To get 'civilised' volume, you're better off at 1 Watt

Meh..I've had an RM20 three times and they are basically too loud or sub-optimal in tone without the boost engaged.....and then it's all EL84..which is OK but not my favorite power tube. (EDIT: especially for the metalz!!!!)

I think the RM50 has an excellent Master Volume...with the added benefit of two channels and tube flexibility compared to the RM20.

I tend to play at just a little louder than TV volume most of the time with mine.

If you play metal, the rm20 will give you the lead tones, but may not be the best choice for chunk chunk rhythms

OK, thanks - than the RM20 isn't the right choice for me. It's quite expensive anyway...

But there are not that much alternatives from Randall, eh? The little ones (KH15 etc.) sound like crap and 50-75W SS (RH/RX) or hybrid (T2C) will be obviously too much for bedroom volume stages, eh?

Maybe I'll stick with software amp modeling...<sigh>

You're probably missing the reactive feel. Plugins don't have that. Two hardware modelers I know of do: Eleven Rack ($705) and Axe FX ($2000).

I'm at this:

* my hearing is shot in my right ear. This leaves my left ear, and I've got to protect it. so no more loud playing.

* So I don't need 100W of tube power since about 1 to 2 watts will do the trick.

* So will I be happy with an RM4 and something like a EHX .22 cal pedal sized 22W class D power amp (actually 11 watts usable) through a guitar cab?

* Or will full bore modeling at home (Eleven Rack provides an interface upgrade as well) through FRFR monitors be better? I can't afford the AXE FX no way in hell.

I guess I would disagree with most up here. I find that the RM20 - and RM22 (which is what I am using for the most part when I do use a practice amp) - can do just fine as a TV volume practice amp - especially with the high gain mods - as your using the preamp for the gain - not the power section. With being able to use the boost as a master volume (using the boost level off - and using the boost volume as the master), you can get pretty good tones at that low of a volume - with a plexi style module - yeah it sounds great with the volume up - not so great with the volume down - but some one using that mod is probably looking for a different type of tone.

I have an 11R and it is really cool - and actually works better for me than the Axe (I had two - over a two year period, so I gave them a bunch of time to try to make it work for me) - but for the most part I still use the RM22 into a 1x12 cab for practice - and can actually still use it for smaller shows into a 2x12 - but at higher volumes its not a metal machine - as the power section breaks up too much. Though the 11r into powered monitors is a pretty cool practice amp (plays great and actually sounds great), its just easier to use the RM22.

The RM20 hasn't got powersoak, eh?

I think that the upcoming Engl Gigmaster15 will be pretty cool, featurewise: 15W, all-tube, 10" speaker (combo version, head available too) and a integrated power soak that makes the amp adjustable from 15W down to 1W.

But not a Randall...<sigh>

Latest posts