Maverick Speaker with built in power attenuation?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricey

Reaction score
I just scored a RM50 combo loaded with KH-1 and 1086 modules for $379. I took a chance with this from GC online. There was only one poor photo and very little written in the description. When I got it, I noticed that it had EL34 tubes and the stock Celestion speaker had been swapped for a Maverick speaker. The speaker appears to have some sort of dial on the back of the magnet that is labeled "Fully Attenuated" at the full clockwise position and "Full Power" in the full counter-clockwise position. I have not yet figured out how to turn the dial. Does anybody know anything about these speakers? Sounds like a cool idea, but I really have not had a chance to play the amp much yet.

I've never heard of these. Eminence made speakers with attenuators in them. You rotated the knob on the magnet to change them.

I just edited the post. It is a Maverick speaker, not Magnum. I think I had that EH 44 Magnum pedal power amp thingy on my mind when I wrote the post! I googled it and found that it is made by Eminence, so at least it is a quality speaker. The Maverick is a US voiced speaker, the Reignmaker is the British voiced version. I am interested to see how it will sound compared to the stock Celestion GT12-75 in my RM100.

I still have not been able to move the attenuation lever. Right now, it is stuck at the midway point, but I really want to open it up to full power and see how it sounds! I am also curious as to why the previous owner swapped out the stock Celestion speaker for the US voiced Eminence Maverick, yet swapped out the stock "US" 6l6 power tubes for "British" El34s? Eminence does also make a British voiced version of the speaker called the Reignmaker, so it must have been a conscious decision to mix and match US and British voiced components. I found reviews for both the Maverick and the Reignmaker at Guitarplayermagazine.com. The reviews were favorable and both earned Editors Pick Awards.

I sent an email to Eminence, explaining my problem with the stuck attenuator dial and they responded the next day. Apparently, the plastic material that they used in the attenuation dial assembly during the early production runs of of both the Maverick and Reignmaker speakers was prone to absorb moisture, causing the dial to freeze up. They subsequently switched to a new material, solving the problem. They are going to send me a new speaker! Talk about great customer service! I am thinking about asking them to send me the British voiced Reignmaker in lieu of the American voiced Maverick that I currently have in the amp. Not sure if they will do it, but it can't hurt to ask, since both speakers have the same list price.

I use that exact speaker in my RM50. Works quite well when you need to drop the volume but keep the drive. The knob moves the pole piece in and out of the voice coil.

So you have the Maverick in your RM50? What made you pick that over the Reignmaker, which, I am guessing would be much closer in sound to the stock Celestion? I am trying to decide whether or not to just take the replacement Maverick Eminence is offering me or ask if they will send me a Reignmaker instead. I was doing some research on these speakers to find out a little bit more about them and noticed that they originally sold for $175-$190 each, but are now down to only $125. Any idea why they dropped the price? I have never swapped out speakers before. Is it going to be a heavy lift or is it fairly straight forward?

When I bought the Maverick speaker it had just come out so mine has the difficult to turn knob on the back. It's most difficult to turn from the loudest position counter-clockwise towards the attenuated position. I picked the Maverick since I'm more of a blues/classic rock player.
Watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI_D4BK9aOA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fvZ01QeKUg
There's a few more on you tube.
The price was higher when it first came out I think more because of what music stores always do with a new item; they don't discount it.
I play LOUD. I use the power amp as well as the preamp for my tone.
Right now I have two Jaded Faith mods in the RM50 a Wrecked and an OD Special. Speaker took it just fine and I always get compliments on my tone.
Listen to the demos. I picked the Maverick because I wanted a little less midrange peak but honestly either one would probably work for me. I'm still thinking of buy a Reignmaker also and spend some time playing both of them.

Eminence has already shipped the new speaker to me. The have a 7 year warranty, so you could get yours replaced too if it bothers you.

Latest posts