Picked up a JF Super Clean

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audiomidijace

Reaction score
I've been wanting to pick up a JF Super Clean since Rob released it and I finally got one. This is flat out the only MTS clean I've ever heard that is actually "clean." I use vintage output humbuckers 95% of the time and all other clean modules I've tried always breakup too much even with the input gain set really low. IT SUCKS!! :x
I had Rob make me a custom Tweed a while back with lower gain and a mid boost switch where I use an EH-12AY7 tube in V1 to lower the gain even more. It's by far the best Fender MTS clean tone I've heard and is dripping with flavor, but it's still right on the edge of breaking up.
So if you're just looking for a solid clean tone and not looking for a specific Fender, Vox, etc. Super Clean is the real deal.
Plus when I set the module for "single coil" pickups I can get a really nice and unique overdrive! Turn the gain up past noon and kick in the "Touch" switch and this thing will actually rock pretty hard! Very versatile and it doesn't sound like any other module I've played before.
Now I use the Super Clean in my EL34 amp and my Tweed in my 6L6 amp and together it's pretty damned sexy sounding! :shock: I've never been happier with my MTS clean sounds!
Thanks Rob! :D

audiomidijace said:
I've been wanting to pick up a JF Super Clean since Rob released it and I finally got one. This is flat out the only MTS clean I've ever heard that is actually "clean." I use vintage output humbuckers 95% of the time and all other clean modules I've tried always breakup too much even with the input gain set really low. IT SUCKS!! :x
I had Rob make me a custom Tweed a while back with lower gain and a mid boost switch where I use an EH-12AY7 tube in V1 to lower the gain even more. It's by far the best Fender MTS clean tone I've heard and is dripping with flavor, but it's still right on the edge of breaking up.
So if you're just looking for a solid clean tone and not looking for a specific Fender, Vox, etc. Super Clean is the real deal.
Plus when I set the module for "single coil" pickups I can get a really nice and unique overdrive! Turn the gain up past noon and kick in the "Touch" switch and this thing will actually rock pretty hard! Very versatile and it doesn't sound like any other module I've played before.
Now I use the Super Clean in my EL34 amp and my Tweed in my 6L6 amp and together it's pretty damned sexy sounding! :shock: I've never been happier with my MTS clean sounds!
Thanks Rob! :D

The Super Clean just flat out rocks! I absolutely love this module and turned it on to a few friends new to MTS and they were completely blown away with it as well.

I've got a few tracks in demo mode that feature the Super Clean with a Strat but here's a track with my Les Paul Custom for those who haven't heard it yet.

www.mikeplas.com/mlib/am/huntingdog.mp3

I may have to own a Super Clean again at some point. I loved the sound of my Les Paul through it in humbucker mode with the spank and touch switches engaged (huh huh, spank and touch). I sold mine because I ultimately want to get something more vintage Fendery instead, but that is a very good module.

When I first got a JF Tweed (not my model) Rob had a switch that went from Blackface to Tweed. I didn't care for the Blackface tone, so I asked for just Tweed. I've yet to hear an MTS module that does a good Fender Blackface. I've not tried the Salvation Twinface, but I have had the LoneClean and folks that have had both tell me those two are very similar.
Mine has a push/pull gain knob that boosts the gain just a bit and has a brighter, thinner tone. But the Mid Boost switch I had him add is WONDERFUL! It makes it sound much more Tweed to me. That EH-12AY7 in V1 is a BIG deal though. It really lowers the gain and keeps it cleaner.

I gigged with my Superclean on wednesday night and it sung sweetly.I have never had such a good clean tone.
Along with my ODS and 59RR I had the best tone Ive ever had and after the gig had the guitarists from the previous bands complementing me on my tone and taking photos of my rig.
Guitar Rig that is.

Great to see all the love for this mod! As we are in the later stages of writing an album with a new band and starting to work the songs out in a live room now it's become my most used module as well. That and the 1959RR PE in my RM50 Combo have been superb for all my needs. It takes FX so well, from my OD/Fuzz/Distortions in front to Mod/Delay/Reverb in the loop. I can actually live on that module for 60% of my tones.

Mike: LOVE that clip! Can I get an MP3 for the site?

Jace: Those Tweed mods always make me smile every time I build one. I really need to get one in my stash.

Dave: That clip from the gig was great as well and loved the playing. You sat very well in the bands mix.

///MK said:
Will you clean keep an extended range (7/8 string etc) with actives clean without breakup??

Yes, I play a seven string with EMG 707's through mine all the time.

That is real good to know. Im usually a blackface clean guy but I find my 7&8 strings with actives made the module dirty... been usuing a Jaded XTC dialed down and it makes a very voxish almost clean that actually is very cool in its own way...

The thing I like most about the SuperClean(besides the nice sparkly cleans...) is how it works so well with a distortion pedal. I have done some cool stuff with it on clean with a chorus on also.

Mine just got here a few hours ago . . . I jammed on it for about 45 minutes. I LOVE THIS MODULE! I still haven't even tried the single-coil setting with SC pickups, yet already I think for live use this module is going to be plenty versatile enough for me. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLDBb0bhFeU&context=C4b35d56ADvjVQa1PpcFMGoFcNYSJtR5JLGMAWd15nyqxoB5UJSWo=

This is a clip of my band playing live. I was using the Superclean with my PRS in coil-tap mode.
Bit of a soft song for these parts.