RM100 issues yet again

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibenhad

Reaction score
So I have been out of the module thing for about 2 years and just got the bug again after posting some of my buddies stuff he is selling. I still have about 25 modules and 2 RM100 heads.

Long story short I plug in my head to power, plug in my speaker cable to my 2x12 cab (8ohms) and make sure the amp is set the same. The cabinet and cable are good as I tested them with my Splawn Nitro before and after the amp issue. Let the amp warm up for a few and seat 3 modules in slots. Turn the amp from standby to power and no sound. After checking everything a second time I mess with the volume on module one and lo and behold full sound. All modules work and we are happy. About 10 minutes goes by and all volume drops out again. WTH.... I am going to replace the power tubes and do a fresh bias. Any ideas?

ibenhad said:
...Let the amp warm up for a few and seat 3 modules in slots...
Any ideas?

Not beyond changing out tubes, but is it safe swapping modules with the power on (standby or not)? I thought I read this wasn't a safe practice a while back, I could be wrong...

If it has been sat for a while, have you tried cleaning the contacts of FX loop and possibly even then module slots themselves?

I usually put a little contact cleaner on a plug or module card edge and plug in and out with the power off.....that stuff evaporates pretty quickly.

I have also occasionally seen this symptom when modules aren't screwed in (they are not fully located.)

Drew thanks for the reply. I meant I seated them before I powered up. I have never thought you could do a hot swap. These amps are so freaking sensitive I wouldn't even try.

JKD - Thanks to you also. I will try the loop thing and that was the first thing I thought after trying other things. The modules were all screwed in tight.

This is bringing back memories (not good) of why I stopped using this stuff in the first place. UGH. IMHO reliability is not it's strong suit.

Thanks for the help guys amp seems to be OK for the moment. I sprayed all sockets that the modules go into, then clean all input/output jacks, cleaned power tube sockets and went with a new quad of El34's and biased the amp up. So far so good. Would be really awesome if I never had to post an amp issue here again.

ibenhad said:
Thanks for the help guys amp seems to be OK for the moment. I sprayed all sockets that the modules go into, then clean all input/output jacks, cleaned power tube sockets and went with a new quad of El34's and biased the amp up. So far so good. Would be really awesome if I never had to post an amp issue here again.

Amen.. I don't even gig with mine and I've had a early rev board arc'ing problem and multiple issues with the effects loop jacks plus the odd few modules not fitting....easy fix in my garage...but not so reliable on the road....but then many musicians likely gig with a backup I suppose :-/

Yeah bring a backup RM 100 that will probably fail also, NO THANKS. Said it before and will say it again. Killer idea just bad implementation. Such a shame. Great studio tones when they are working though.

Latest posts