• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Synergy/MTS Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

RM20 head (UK)

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BatAML

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the last of module stuff, having had a RM100 combo and then Syn30 combo. Listing the RM20 first and then the modules.

IMG_1628.JPG

This amp started life as an RM20 combo, before a former owner cut it down into a head format. Looks great from 10 feet, but a bit 'ghetto' up close. Works perfectly but has the following minor issues:
1 - Presence pot has a 'dull' spot at maximum, so for maximum presence you need to dial it to max and then back a fraction
2 - Boost level pot is scratchy at around 2 o'clock

No modules (see separate post for modules I have).

Price: £200 + shipping

Last edited:
Update: I've listed the modules separately (see other thread). In doing that I tested each one in this RM20 chassis, and all of the higher-gain modules squealed at higher settings. Odd, and as I hadn't used them much since putting them in storage, it seemed odd. But then I remembered I had used them with my Syn30 and not this amp. Curious...

So I opened up this amp to see if there's something odd here. First thing: the wire dress is ... "interesting". And may not be (I hope not!) factory standard. I will try to find some reference photos.

As I can also see a few mods to the PCB components - e.g. some 1960s Marshall 'mustard' capacitors - it's possible that the cable runs were not reinstated properly. And that may be the cause of the squealing with the higher gain modules. While it's open I will investigate and also use some contact cleaner on the amplifier's two scratchy pots.

Please bear this in mind if you want to buy! :)

Update 2: I've now spend some time checking the internal layout, and can see no immediate issue, except for a handful of changed parts. Nothing I can do allows the medium/high gain modules to run at full gain without squealing. :(

The Deluxe MTS module (low-ish gain, of course) works. Unfortunately I don't have enough time to dig in and more fully diagnose the amp's issue.

So this amp is now for sale as parts/repair only - £100 + shipping.

Hi!
I'm interested in the amp. How much are the shipping costs to germany?
Thank you
Bernhard

Hi!
Because of the fees and taxes for an import from england to germany it is very important that the price for the amp plus shipping does not exceed 125 GBP.
If you can guarantee this we can go into the deal.
Greetings
Bernhard

Latest posts