So it looks like I blew up my SYN-1 :(

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgadwa

Reaction score
Earlier this evening, I was swapping modules. The SYN-1 was running thru the loop of one of my amps. It seems that the Volume control on new module I was putting in was cranked up a bit - maybe halfway - and somehow, the LOW/HI toggle on the back for "To Amp" and "From Amp" was flipped to "HI". There was a hellacious high pitched racket and now, all I get is a shitty square wave sound out of it.

I've tried it with two other amps, swapped out the 12AX7 in the SYN-1 with a new one... Still sounds busted. Any idea what might have happened? I have decent tech locally who has fixed other tube amp issues in the past but not sure if the Synergy stuff is that much more complex. Think I should bring it to him or shipit back to Synergy? I'm in Canada so it'd be that much more a pain to have to send it.

I don't know why the line level signal would do that as they are made for it. Maybe a defective component I would let Synergy fix it but yeah shipping is not fun. I've seen demo guys hot plug modules in an out with the power on and that seems to just not be common sense not to cut the power. A HI/Low switch is just like a +4db line level signal from instrument level it should not do that. I've often experimented with my levels just to see the noise floor issues.

Thanks @Module Greatly appreciated. Timing for these things is never good but I've got vacay booked in two weeks and was really looking forward to finishing off some recording. There are other options of course, but was *really* looking forward to using a few Synergy modules.

Agreed on the hot-swap. working with networking and data center equipment thru the years, I would never thing of hot-swapping a device unless the manufacturer explicitly stated that it was okay.

Thanks @Module Greatly appreciated. Timing for these things is never good but I've got vacay booked in two weeks and was really looking forward to finishing off some recording. There are other options of course, but was *really* looking forward to using a few Synergy modules.

Agreed on the hot-swap. working with networking and data center equipment thru the years, I would never thing of hot-swapping a device unless the manufacturer explicitly stated that it was okay.
Curious as to which module you were putting in when this happened. Did you try going back to another module and have the same result?

The ins/outs can be confusing it is possible something is backwards that would do weird sounds I imagine.

Curious as to which module you were putting in when this happened. Did you try going back to another module and have the same result?

Pretty certain I was going Pittbull to Savage but likely not due to anything related to the individual modules IMO.

The ins/outs can be confusing it is possible something is backwards that would do weird sounds I imagine.

Fair point but did not swap cables from the Send/Return - it was working fine prior to swapping modules. I also tested with two other amps after things went screwy. Possible but unlikely that I reversed them both times. With that being said, this is the year that I've gone from "sometimes needs reading glasses" to "absolutely unable to read without them". I am going to take another run at it later this evening just as a sanity check.

So kind of interesting! I plugged the SYN-1 back into the main amp that I use with it and for 3-5 minutes, it worked flawlessly! It almost had me thinking that I had somehow switched up the cables as @Module suggested. ...but soon after, the sound quickly became thin and raspy, then very square-wavey and a major drop in volume. Tested it again a few hours later and the same thing only this time, the deterioration in sound quality came much more quickly.

Seems pretty clear that some component is failing. Tested with two modules so it's definitely the SYN-1, not the module. It's a bummer but I really appreciate you guys sharing your thoughts. I want able to reach out to the guys at Synergy until late Friday night so here's hoping they respond quickly. Has anyone had experience with the repairs department?

So it is more than one module? It sounds a little like maybe a bad preamp tube in the dock. I would also guess you tried checking the cables as well. You can get that sort of behavior with a failing tube somewhere. Preamp tubes have notorius reliablity these days even the better bin tested ones. Had had some bad power tubes a while back and it was doing all sorts of weird stuff. It was not Synergy though. Synergy will want to make it right it's just the shipping/waiting thing. I would not let anyone monkey w it as I don't thing there is much tech info available for them as Synergy and partners are pretty tight on circuit specs. I get back behind the rack I need my hand light and small magnifier as I cannot read anything that is so small these days. lol

Problem solved! Seems my main guitar cable has a faulty connection. Just a few months old and used only in my home recording studio.

Pretty clearly it's mechanical failure on the fancy pants "circuit breaker" plug: Planet Waves PW-AGL-15 D'Addario 15' Circuit Breaker Instrument Cable with Latching Cut-Off Switch, Straight Plug

Not to bag on them but honestly, I should have known better. "KISS" principle always applies.

Thanks again to everyone for sharing their thoughts. ...and hats off to Synergy support team for great communication earlier today.

Problem solved! Seems my main guitar cable has a faulty connection. Just a few months old and used only in my home recording studio.

Pretty clearly it's mechanical failure on the fancy pants "circuit breaker" plug: Planet Waves PW-AGL-15 D'Addario 15' Circuit Breaker Instrument Cable with Latching Cut-Off Switch, Straight Plug

Not to bag on them but honestly, I should have known better. "KISS" principle always applies.

Thanks again to everyone for sharing their thoughts. ...and hats off to Synergy support team for great communication earlier today.
Success! Glad you figured it out.

Isn't that always the case, something you just didn't see? Up side is no repair issues...
My left channel went dead and I was going crazy trying to cross reference and finally switched power amps to discover it was, oh no, the amp. But, when I got back in there to look around and maybe pull it out of the rack. I remembered my cat had been back there doing her paws up, stretching, dig thing and I saw she had clicked the stereo/mono switch down from her weight.
Last week my rig was just dead, I had done some pedal changes so I started looking at that, everything seemed fine, pathways were right, power, etc. After about an hr of frustration I finally saw one of the cables had not been pushed in all the way, one of those stiff jack things that needed a good push to connect.

Latest posts