UltraXL and Recto VooDoo Modification Feedback

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pedro

Reaction score
Hi Gang,

Happy New Year! ...and sorry I'm making a new VooDoo topic here, but I really want everyone to read this up front and not down the chain.

Here's a detailed review of my experience with VooDoo Amps and Trace's work. I recently sent down the UltraXL and the Recto modules.

For the Ultra, I had Trace mod it with the UG-Jose mod, and the Recto was a ?custom? modification. For the Recto, it was a ?last chance before I ditch the module? upgrade because I was never satisfied with the sound regardless of previous changes\mods done to it. My request to Trace was simply this?. ?I don?t care what you do to this module Trace. It?s your canvass to do as you wish? just make it sound like hell on a circuit board?. Little did I know that this was the best thing to ask of him. Here?s a breakdown of the work and sound.

For Both modules:
To get a detailed description of what is done when you receive a mod from Trace, please visit his site at http://www.voodooamps.com <http://www.voodooamps.com/> . There are different levels of modifications and he?s done a terrific job of explaining what is changed\replaced and the characteristics of the change with respect to the sound differences. I received the deluxe mod on both, with a few extra changes to the Recto to truly make it unique.

There are added gain controls to both modules that can be increased or decreased via adjustment of the trim pots installed on the board. The EQ on the modules are sick! :shock: You can literally crank bass, mid, treble to full and not have it create frequencies that are deafening, annoying, screeching and just plain unusable. We?ve all experienced this with stock amps?can?t use more than 50 ? 60% of the on board EQ because it just sounds like crap and is so in your face that it?s like a freaking migraine! :roll: The EQ on these 2 modules now are so smooth it?s just beautiful?it rolls on so nicely that you can truly experiment with the full range? very useable with warmth to it. You really need to hear it?it?s something else. Great tones!

For UltraXL: UG Jose Mod (Deluxe Mod)

Smooth HiGain that can vary from ACDC to 90's metal stuff.... great for rhythm and leads! The gain is perfect for what I was in search of. The noise that everyone was used to hearing about with this module is essentially gone. Gain? Loads of it ?and all easily adjustable to your taste and style via the added gain controls Trace puts onto the board. Again, the EQ is amazing!

For Recto: The new "Sear Mod" (Happy to say this was the custom project that has now introduced it as an option to all of you fine folks :wink: )

This has oodles of gain! :twisted: It's a monster!! The tone is ridiculous and my favourite for lead playing. Exceptionally warm, smooth and fat sounding! It just sings. And if you like the NuMetal stuff, this will do it without breaking a sweat. The controls (trim pots) are on the PC board to increase\decrease your gain and there is also a mid girth control giving me more control over how I can structure the midrange (boost it or cut it). He also included 2 switches into my module:

PUSH Switch: This is a gain boost, but not a major gain boost. It pushes the gain just a bit more.

SHIFT Switch: This is a mid-boost

Again, the EQ is just freaking magic. 8)

Customer Service:
Second to none! Emails responded to promptly, and more than happy to discuss things over the phone to truly get an accurate description of what the client wants. Items returned in perfect condition and the turn around time for the products are very acceptable. The description of products and services on the web page leave little to no questions and it fully explains what you will receive and how it will react and sound.

Bottom line, Trace?s approach and attitude is fantastic. He?s a true pro who loves what he does and his experience and length of time in the business should speak for itself. He really cares about getting you the sound you?re looking for and it was a pleasure talking with him on the phone to discuss tones and potential changes and suggestions for change. Take a look at his clientele (available to view on his web page) so you can get an idea of who he?s done work for. It?s pretty **** impressive and it sold me! I?m already saving for the next mod on my MTS farm. After that, I'm sending the LB down for the transformer and choke upgrade! :D The neighbourhood will never be the same :lol:

All the best to all of you!

Pedro

I almost pulled the trigger on that Sear module just after Christmas, but then I happened upon a used Stonerverb on eBay and just couldn't resist its allure. Looks like I'll have to start saving up again.

On a related note, I didn't care for the stock Recto either (found it virtually unusable, to be perfectly honest), but Voodoo's "Dual Rec" mod turned it into a dead ringer for its namesake. I highly recommend it if you're experiencing the pangs of Mesa withdrawal.

Thanks for the review. i had a great mod done by Trace on an EG5, he was everything you mentioned, great guy to work with.

Rising Farce said:
I almost pulled the trigger on that Sear module just after Christmas, but then I happened upon a used Stonerverb on eBay and just couldn't resist its allure. Looks like I'll have to start saving up again.

On a related note, I didn't care for the stock Recto either (found it virtually unusable, to be perfectly honest), but Voodoo's "Dual Rec" mod turned it into a dead ringer for its namesake. I highly recommend it if you're experiencing the pangs of Mesa withdrawal.

Yep! I read the reviews on Harmony Central....I might just be funding another Recto or Treadplate to get this mod done! The stock mods are just flat and stale sounding. The sear mod punched a whole lotta new life into that thing.

And you SHOULD start saving for some Trace work! :wink: You won't regret it.

Pedro

tung said:
Thanks for the review. i had a great mod done by Trace on an EG5, he was everything you mentioned, great guy to work with.

Anytime! Gotta advertise good service whenever you can! (...and I'm still very intrigued with the EG5...) .... one day! :wink:

Pedro

Latest posts