TOL100 vs. TOL50 -- sonic differences?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bduersch

Reaction score
I was just offered a heckuva deal on a TOL50 head, and feel inclined to jump all over based upon how much I dug my old TOL100 combo. I'm venturing to guess, based on the specs, that the two will have pretty different tonalities. Can anybody who's owned/played both of 'em comment on the differences?

Thanks,
--B

bduersch said:
I was just offered a heckuva deal on a TOL50 head, and feel inclined to jump all over based upon how much I dug my old TOL100 combo. I'm venturing to guess, based on the specs, that the two will have pretty different tonalities. Can anybody who's owned/played both of 'em comment on the differences?

Thanks,
--B
I have owned both (actually 2 TOL50s, and 1 TOL100) and there is certainly a "Egnater" tonality that is similar. The midrange and bit of darkness to the amps is similar.

Response is chewier and a tad spongier on the 50, the channels are like 2 and 3 (with less gain) of the 100 watt. I like the 50 biased up with 6l6s, and the 100 with 34's.
The 100 does have a more immediate attack, much more gain, and an overall tighter feel... But the 50 is no slouch, it will easily do GNR or Aerosmith type gain and tone.

I will own both again.

I hope this helps !

Thanks! That does help... I'm actually thinking about picking up the TOL50 to use in a A/B setup with a Fender Deluxe Reverb... the DR would provide all the cleans, then I could boost channel 1 on the TOL50 for a crunch tone and use channel 2 for a lead tone. I'm going for sort of an "Eric Johnson, but smoother" vibe.

I still haven't found anything that sounds as fat & punchy as the DR for clean work... don't know if it's the rectifier tube, don't know if it's the 6V6's, don't know if it's some other old-school Fender magic... but I just can't quit playing it.

--B

bduersch said:
Thanks! That does help... I'm actually thinking about picking up the TOL50 to use in a A/B setup with a Fender Deluxe Reverb... the DR would provide all the cleans, then I could boost channel 1 on the TOL50 for a crunch tone and use channel 2 for a lead tone. I'm going for sort of an "Eric Johnson, but smoother" vibe.

I still haven't found anything that sounds as fat & punchy as the DR for clean work... don't know if it's the rectifier tube, don't know if it's the 6V6's, don't know if it's some other old-school Fender magic... but I just can't quit playing it.

--B

If it helps, the second clip here (Puppet Strings) is the TOL 50 with a touch of boost in front:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=503479

I think the 50 would do EJ-ish tones better than the 100... Good luck !