Randall RM20 6v6 power tubes

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrunchBunch

Reaction score
I'm really liking playing round with my RM20. Have been going through a bunch of different 12AX7's in V1 and V2 on my Ultra module with some interesting results.

I'm now thinking of doing some power valve experimentation but the RM20 documentation is a bit light on in terms of what other (than EL84) power tubes can be used.

I've seen some references to 6V6s but can anyone confirm that they can be used in the RM20 (with a re-bias of course).

Thanks in advance.

Physically the pins are different between a EL84 (9 pins) and a 6V6 (Octal) so you cannot substitute one for the other.

On some Egnater amps you can use both but I'm assuming that there are four tube sockets in play on those amps?

If you have an standard Octal tube socket you can use EL84's with a converter like a yellow jacket but I don't think you can convert the other way around i.e. from a 9 pin EL84 -> 8 pin Octal tube.

http://www.tungsol.com/tungsol/html/faqs12.html

what about some 6L6's? I had a Randal RH50T that could use EL84 or 6L6 so long as you adjusted the bias