Randall RM50 best clean mod?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandalRM50

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Randall RM50 head. It came with the blackface and ultra mods. I love the head. I put it up against a blackstar 50w head, a marshall dsl 100, a orange tiny terror, a B52 at-100, and many more, and it 100% came out on top. Super excited to have it.

That being said, the blackface mod, i use as my clean channel. It sounds gorgeous at lower volumes, and sounds good cranked. My issue is that it tends to break up pretty harshly when i get to practice volumes. Full band. Trying to keep up with drums. The amp has PLENTY of volume overall. I just cant get those crisp cleans id like to have at practice. This wont be an issue on stage as i will be micing my 412 i am using. But is there a mod that does better staying clean with more head room? Or is it just because i am using all the 50w clean it can provide?

Thanks in advance!

The Salvation Loneclean sound great and has plenty of options for tweaking.
You can't go wrong with that module.

If the breakup you're hearing is the result of volume (and not the module's gain setting), it may be coming from your speakers or power section. You might consider KT88/6550 tubes or higher-wattage speakers as an initial step.

Rising Farce said:
If the breakup you're hearing is the result of volume (and not the module's gain setting), it may be coming from your speakers or power section. You might consider KT88/6550 tubes or higher-wattage speakers as an initial step.

I absolutely agree with this, KT88s to start...cheap enough to give it a shot.
I've never seen a MODULE with higher headroom than the JF Super Clean, if you end up deciding that the module is the problem.

Twox is the best clean module I've found. I like the JF Texas Clean and JF VX30 as well. One that might surprise is the Salvation Markus clean channel--warm and sweet!

I'll second the JF Superclean. It is almost solid state sounding like a Roland Jazz chorus.

I'm guessing you have the gain turned low and the volume turned up to keep the preamp from clipping?

If the only time this is an issue is at practice I wouldn't be sweating it. Another preamp module will be $$$ and won't sound like the Blackface (I have one and it is my favorite clean).

New tubes are less $$$, but may change the tone or feel of the amp. Might be better, might be worse?