JJ 6V6 in Egnater Mod100

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lebobl

Reaction score
Anyone here rocking JJ 6V6 in their Egnater Mod? I am considering them in part because the 100 watter is brutally loud with 6550s. Also, I've always enjoyed the tone from my Crate Stealth 50 combo which employs 6V6 tubes. Would love to hear some opinions from the group! Thanks!

Never tried them in a MOD100 but sounded good to me in MOD50.

From memory, these are the tubes to be biased no hotter than 18-22mV and only use JJ.

I'm not sure the volume went down my much tho'

I had them in my Mod50 and sounded good. I believe JKD has the bias numbers correct.

Thanks, guys! I can't even turn my master volume up much past 9 o clock right now with the 6550s. Hoping I might get a bit slower taper. If I have the module volume past noon, it gets blazingly loud quickly. Hoping as well to get a bit more softness and compression, and a bit less hardness. Probably going to wait and see if there's any Black Friday deals from any tube dealers.

If I remember correctly Bruce warned to use only JJ 6V6.
I liked what I heared. More 'poweramp' saturation for lower volume playing.
But at louder volumes I prefer 6L6 for a 'stiffer' sound. 6550 too stiff sounding to my taste.
In my old MOD100 I mixed a pair of 6V6 and a pair of 6L6.
I always find Egnater stuff sounds very good at low volumes b.t.w.

Thanks! I just threw in and biased the JJ's yesterday. Definitely warmer and more saturated than the 6550s, not as stiff and harsh like you said. Will have to try them out at band volumes. The volume control seems to have a slower taper now and not as blazingly loud initially.

GtrGear said:
In my old MOD100 I mixed a pair of 6V6 and a pair of 6L6.
I always find Egnater stuff sounds very good at low volumes b.t.w.

So using mixed pairs of JJ 6V6 plus 6L6 that way, it would provide output of about 75 watts? When mixed, does it matter if inside or outside pairs are the 6V6 (with correct corresponding bias)? Assume same applies to RM100 as Mod 100.