RM100 MIDI footswitch stopped working- suggestions?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
This one has me scratching my head. My RM100 head has been in storage for several years, been using SYN-1 in 4CM with other amps. Fired up the RM100 yesterday, head is working fine, it can switch between channels/modules using the button on the front of the head without issue. Connected the stock RM100 foot switch (which worked fine previously); red LEDs above the pedal's 3 buttons light up & change when pressed- but amp does not change channels. Swapped MIDI cables- same thing. Read through MIDI guide & attempted to reprogram the foot switch presets; still nothing. Powered off/unplugged & replugged everything, tried programming again- nothing. Uh oh.

Emailed Rob at Jaded Faith, who said symptoms don't seem to indicated a blown fuse on the MIDI board, and suggested checking the internal dip switches on the MIDI interface in the head are set properly (which I will do if nobody has a better idea)- but that seems unlikely to be the problem, since it's just been in storage & worked fine before. The head has only been transported about 3 miles in the backseat of my SUV since foot switch was last working fine, I can't imagine that short ride somehow jostled the dip switches out of position. I have never opened up the chassis for any reason or fiddled with the MIDI dip switches previously (not looking forward to ripping it apart).

Any one else have troubleshooting suggestions other than opening chassis to checking dip switches? Is there some soft reset command for the MIDI interface other than power cycling?

The fuse on the MIDI board only interrupts AC for the footswitch.
If the footswitch still lights up without an external power supply the fuse can´t be defective.
But without a response and detailed information it´s impossible to give further assistance.

Sorry for the late reply. I've never added external power for the footswitch, it lights up just with 5 pin MIDI cable connected to the head. Rob at JF was stumped at the symptoms. I travel extensively and the head is at a location where I only use it infrequently.

So I did the responsible thing, and ordered a SYN-2 :)

Would still like to figure out the footswitch on the RM100 if anyone has any other ideas.

I have same problem.. I have 3 rm100s and two footswitches. One footswitch works with all three amps and the other footswitch doesn't work with any of them to change channels despite lighting up fine.

Seems like my problem is the footswitch itself and the Original Poster I believe your footswitch has the same issue as mine and i bet if you found another rm100 footswitch it would probably work. Something in the internals of the footswitch may die?

My RM100 is gathering dust again after I got the SYN-2, eventually I'll haul it out of my basement & try it with a Disaster Area Designs MIDI Baby 3 to see if that works. I'll be happy if it's just the foot switch. EDIT- a replacement Randall RF3 foot switch is $149 new (!!) which is ludicrous, even used they are $95+, another MIDI Baby 3 is only $139 and would be way more flexible/useful.