Egnater MOD50: clean modules as pedal platform

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bucksears

Reaction score
I posted this over on Rig-Talk, but figured I'd try here as well

I've had my MOD50 for about five years and haven't used it as much as hoped, mostly because the cab/speakers I've had for the duration weren't ideal, and my easy/go-to setup is a Fender Super Reverb for clean + some reverb, and pedals for everything else.
For the MOD50, the best cab config I've found has been the Egnater Tourmaster 212, which is what I used back when I had an M4 preamp + Randall RT2/50 setup. Finally got a very similar cab and loaded the Elite 80 speakers.

Circling back to the MOD50 now, I'd like some feedback/guidance on how to make the most of it for using dirt pedals. I've got the Egnater T/D, BMAN and VX (dual) modules. FWIW, I had my M4 about 10yrs ago and some dirt pedals (DS-1, in particular) sounded way thinner/smaller through the Twin side of the T/D module than it did through a <conventional> tube amp (my Super Reverb RI).

Is there a 'best practice' or cool tricks to getting them to take pedals well?
Lower gain (5751) for V1?
Run Channel A's gain a little higher vs just higher volume?

Or is it an issue with the MOD amps? I've read several reviews where the new Synergy BMAN and T/DLX are taking pedals well, so I'm also wondering if it's just a difference in the technology.
Thx!

I have a lot of the same stuff, I think it works great with pedals. I run 6V6's in mine, I don't know if that make much of a difference. I also have the Synergy OS and BB/BE modules which have really good cleans that work well with pedals. Maybe try a few different pedals, I use a Double Rock and have used a Box of Rock for distortion, again they sound great.

When I gigged with my Mod50 I used pedals through the VX module on the A channel and they always sounded good. Here's a video (excuse the crappy playing) of my pedalboard through the TDLX module in my Syn-2 (using Mod50 power section): https://youtu.be/h4_ScNL1c-c

no problem. i still use the BMAN as a pedal platform amp. like, daily.