Randall RM100 tube layout question

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fret-Shredder

Reaction score
Hey guys. Anyone know the layout of the tubes. Preamp and Power tubes. Looking at the tubes from the front of the amp I'm assuming the 12AX7 closest to the input jack is V1. Would V2 be next and then V3 is next to the 1st power tube? If correct I would like to know what V2 and V3 do in the circuit. Usually the last 12AX7 should be the phase inverter. I'm just not familiar with Randall. Thanks for any insight. Cheers guys. 🍻 Mike

Sorry I'm late to the party but in case anyone else needs to know the tube closest to the jack is your V1, next tube over is for your effects loop, and the tube closest to your power tubes is the phase inverter. All three are 12AX7 in stock form, some may find experimenting with tubes of different gain factors beneficial. Honestly after trying a lot of different tubes I find that a long pin like JJ ECC803S, Sovtek 12AX7LPS, Mullard 12AX7 with balanced triodes work best for phase inverter (5751 are also great in this spot). The effects loop tube basically just needs to be functioning well, unless you do the jumper cable for an added gain stage trick. V1 should be your best sounding tube usually for current production it's Mullard or Genalex CV4004 or JJ ECC83S that work best.

And although the power transformers can safely operate a myriad of octal tubes the amps really seem to shine with the 6L6GC variety. I've also enjoyed the 6CA7 and KT77 tubes a lot in these amps.

Hope that helps!