Scott Ian still uses his Randall :)

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egynd

Reaction score
scott ian still uses his RM amplifier :) http://www.premierguitar.com/Video/20121030/2058/Rig_Rundown_Anthraxs_Scott_Ian_and_Rob_Caggiano.aspx

thought it was cool to see :)

"Scott Ian uses his Roland signature modular amp, which is no longer in production."

Gotta get me one of those Roland amps
:D

Awesome - looks like him and Dan Donegan are the only ones who actually played their signature gear on tour even after being discontinued or no longer endorsed (Dan).

Yeah. I know that Kirk Uses his in the tuning room, but thats about it.. and his randall logo now is broken so it says " dull" :p

egynd said:
Yeah. I know that Kirk Uses his in the tuning room, but thats about it.. and his randall logo now is broken so it says " dull" :p

I'm pretty sure he did that on purpose with dull.

yeah i know he did that just for fun ;)
the cool thing is that he is still using it , even if its only in the tuning room

egynd said:
the cool thing is that he is still using it , even if its only in the tuning room

Maybe because he didn't get modded modules :wink:

Jacksauce said:
egynd said:

Maybe because he didn't get modded modules :wink:

Haha yeah thats it ;)

and neither have I yet :(( i have to get my *** in gear and get some !

and neither have I yet :(( i have to get my *** in gear and get some ![/quote] :?:

It's a whole new world with the great mods out there!

Let the addiction begin!!!! :twisted:

Oyster said:
and neither have I yet :(( i have to get my *** in gear and get some !
:?:

It's a whole new world with the great mods out there!

Let the addiction begin!!!! :twisted:[/quote]

hehe yeah, I`ve talked to Rob a few times alread y now , so i guess i know almost whati want; )

He records with it as well. You can see it in the video that comes with their new album.

Old thread, but just wanted to say, talking to a few in the know folks, I was told that Scott was REALLY amped about his Randall signature line...like more than anyone, which is saying a lot because George and Nuno both spent a lot of time tweaking their sounds and aesthetics. I don't know why it took U.S. Music so long to get Scott's stuff off the ground, and pretty much too little too late, which must have really bummed him out, but like I said, I guess he was super jazzed about it.

Just my opinion, but his modules, speaker selection in the cabinet, and visual styling were the most extreme out of any of the sig line, and I think his stuff totally kicks ***. I'm still lusting bad after one of his cabinets, they come loaded with some killer made in U.K. Celestions. I've got his modules, but not the head. Definitely a metal vibe to it, and I think it looks pretty killer. I think a couple guys here got one of his heads at a good deal a few months ago.

Idk man, they had some pretty good sponsorship for this line, I'm really amazed it didn't do better. I personally feel the Kirk Hammet head is the most versatile (has a couple extra features beyond the others iirc)...but overall I feel like Kirk put the least into his line (even though it was the most expensive!). His modules are OK, but honestly, I'm pretty surprised that out of 3 he picked one to be a clean module. As far as his cabinets, the RS412KH100 had the "custom" G12H-100 Celestions, made in china I believe, and I never got a straight answer about how much different the voicing was compared to the production G12H-100 speakers. His RS412KHX cab has x-pattern Vintage 30's and G12T-75 Celestions, also made in china models I believe. There's really nothing special about any of these 3 speakers, as you could already buy one of the regular MTS cabs loaded with them. On top of that, I felt like his styling was almost identical to the regular MTS stuff just with a badge added (his head looks cool but basic compared to the other 3 sig heads).

Nuno obviously went completely custom to his taste, selecting the non-MTS head with a great vintage vibe. He selected 20w U.K.-made Celestion Greenbacks, which may or may not be twice as good as the china-made Celestions, but they're almost twice as expensive. A lot of guys aren't crazy about Nuno's head or speaker selection, but I feel he really did mold it to his taste for both sound and looks.

George made a lot of changes to his gear. He started out from the beginning with custom speakers, the Eminence Super-V, which U.S. Music soon lost the contract with. Some of his cabs came loaded with U.K.-made Celestion Greenbacks while Celestion was working on his new custom speaker, the Lynchback. So all of his cabs came with either custom speakers he helped design, or at least super high-quality fill-ins. His styling looks badass to me, and most seem to agree there's something special about his heads compared to the regular MTS line. He designed the most sig mods out of anyone, and they pretty much hold their own stock against a lot of modded ones. He definitely put a lot of effort into his line.

Then there's Scott...as I sayed, he was totally pumped about his line. Pretty much went to extremes with styling, also I think his modules are some of the most extreme out of the stockers, so I feel like he didn't hold any punches. And he selected U.K.-made Heritage 30 speakers for his cab, which are kickass and expensive. I was told he was asked to tone down the syling a little, and basically said pissoff that's how he wants it.

Maybe Randall just doesn't have the street credit as a top-shelf brand...but every signature offering (aside from the KH cabs) had top-shelf components. A lot of the cabinets are made in U.S., with U.S. (Super-V) or U.K. speakers...just my opinion, but as good as anything that cost even $1k more.

KHX is a pretty bitchin' cab. But/yet I do agree with everything stated. Too little too late. Sucks man, such a great concept. I dare say I'm an MTS user for life. Rob has enough flavors to roll me through all my musical midlife crises! HAHAHAHAHAHA with stylings to match.

Oh no doubt about the KHX man! Please don't misunderstand, I'm DEF not saying it sux, it's still on my short list to have. Just that the other 3 guys REALLY tweaked the appearance and picked speakers that cost like 2x, whereas the KHX is pretty similar to the RV412 for components and appearance.

And actually, I think it's possible also (can't recall) that Kirk insisted on a cab with the custom 100w speakers, and so Randall also offered the RV412S-100 and RV412A-100 cabinets. Idk, on one hand, it makes sense that maybe Kirk wanted the G12H-100 customized a little, and to make it economical, Randall had to order a larger quantity and offer the speaker in more cabs than the RS412-KH100.

But at the same time, George was able to have a custom speaker made from Eminence, and a whole different one made from Celestion, and those speakers aren't offered in any other cab besides his sig ones. Of course, that includes a 1x12, 2x12, 4x12, and 1x12 combo, which are all still sold as part of the new non-modular line, so maybe just with the signature offerings, they were able to order enough of those speakers for that to work.

Plus, Kirk insisted on 2 cabinets, the v30/t-75 x-pattern and the 400w, so maybe they didn't let him go with the Heritage series speakers for his cabs, since he had 2. I do think the 2 cabs combined and his speaker selection do pretty much nail the metallica tone. He did go pretty big in that regard...gotta buy a full stack to get his sound!!!

I have to agree about the Ian stuff, while the stock mods can't hold a candle to Rob's stuff, it was definitely headed in the right direction. I have one of the few Ian cabs I've ever seen, and it eats my V30 loaded XL cab for breakfast. Must be the Heritage 60s, because there is a "solid" feeling to the low end, especially at high volumes, that i just don't hear in the other cab.

I've gotta get one of those cabs. $1500 is kinda steep though! Take $500 for yours? :lol:

Like so many other things... Its just a heartbreaker to me that the line is dead. The RM2x was sort of reasonably priced and could be customized. That just makes sense to me.

I guess people just want a regular old amp and be done with it.

About the end of the MTS, you have to remember that when Randall licensed the modular concept from Bruce Egnater, Egnater was a tiny brand, doing mostly ghost design work (Rocktron, etc.). Today Egnater is a big brand, and a competitor to whom they have to pay a percentage. It has been ten years, Randall has a new head designer who probably wants to put his own imprint on Randall ... We can still look at Egnater and all the modders for fresh products ... :)