Noisy 1086 stock module

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sschultz5178

Reaction score
Finally got the chance to play the stock 1086 module I scored off of ebay. First attempt was through a 94 strat with SCN pickup and was noisy even while playing. So much so it was unlistenable.

Next was an Ibanez RG with Super Distortion pup and it was fine. Of note the RM 100 is currently loaded with a Mr Scary and XTC both with the gain pushed up and had no issues with the above mentioned strat.

This was all at bedroom volume levels running straight into the head from the guitar.

When I get off my lazy butt and set up my board and noise gates I know much of this will be fixed. However I don't know why the strat was so noisy when playing.

Any ideas?

SCN are supposed to hum canceling. I would say that there's probably something wrong with the wiring in that guitar.

Don't rely on a noise gate for everything. Eliminate noise as much as you can before adding one, I always say. That way your gate can less of an effect on your overall tone.

I've had noise issues with an Ultra and Brahma module and in both cases it has been a bad pot causing the noise. It seems some of these modules are prone to having the pots crack. When this occurs, its often associated with lots of white noise or a squeal. If any of your pots are crackling, then it may be worth replacing them.

Even if they are not, its worth pulling the module apart so you can remove the face plate, re-insert the module bare into the amp and then by tapping the various pots with a pencil you can identify the noise causing culprit.

The 1086 should not be excessively noisy.

Thanks for the shared post! It was interesting to learn more about your thoughts on this matter!