Mods for Low Tuning

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhiloBeddoe

Reaction score
I tune the entire guitar down a whole step and I've noticed that most of the modules have tighter bass when using standard tuning than when using dropped tuning. No big shock. But, I also realized that my 1086 seems to have a cleaner tighter low end basically right at the frequency where I want it. I'm not crazy about the 1086 mids, but use it all the time because of the clean low end.

I seem to recall that Disturbed guy also tunes down and wondered whether this is a coincidence or whether the low tuning was taken into account in the module design.

I'd love to have a plexi or SL+ or something that sounded great with the low tuning.

So, the question is - could or would Pete or any skilled modder take the low tuning into account or would any quality mod have the same effect?

Many thanks

I'm not crazy about the 1086 mids, but use it all the time because of the clean low end.

I seem to recall that Disturbed guy also tunes down and wondered whether this is a coincidence or whether the low tuning was taken into account in the module design.
I think this is spot on- the 1086 is very dissappointing for many in standard E or Eb no doubt, but does sound much better the lower you tune

I'd love to have a plexi or SL+ or something that sounded great with the low tuning.

I have a few modules from Pete that has a 3 way bass cap switch- it fcan get real tight...the SL+ is my favorite

Shinozoku said:
The SL+ is just too dry of a sound for C standard :lol:

I find that statement ridiculous.......the SL+ was the staple of my tone in my A and Bb tuned band for 2 years... :roll:

I still use my KH-3 (Pete modded of course) and it kills......Now saying that there are modules and many amps voiced in the low mids dept that do excel at lower tunings..... but I love Marshally voiced gear for Ultra low tuning for wicked clarity and articulation.......if don't believe me ask Dino Cazares what he used on the Demanufacture and Obsolete Fear Factory CD's......modded JCM 800......

Shinozoku said:
I prefer my Ultra XL for lower tunings. The SL+ is just too dry of a sound for C standard :lol:

But isn't the SL+ modeled after the JCM800? If so I've heard that Robin Trower tunes to C live and uses two JCM800s, so that should be enough, right?

To be honest, I haven't really given the SL+ much time in C Standard. Next time I fire up my RM100 though, I'll check it out :D It seemed like the last time I tried it, it was just too dry or smooth or something. But y'all have a great point. After all, I think Nile used JCM800's at one point too, and they're in drop A :shock:

PhiloBeddoe said:
I tune the entire guitar down a whole step and I've noticed that most of the modules have tighter bass when using standard tuning than when using dropped tuning. No big shock. But, I also realized that my 1086 seems to have a cleaner tighter low end basically right at the frequency where I want it. I'm not crazy about the 1086 mids, but use it all the time because of the clean low end.

So, the question is - could or would Pete or any skilled modder take the low tuning into account or would any quality mod have the same effect?

Many thanks

I could make a sample clip for you. I tune to C standard. I have a few clips now in C#.

i find the grail to be fantastic in c standard and pretty underwhelming in e standard.

srrdude said:
i find the grail to be fantastic in c standard and pretty underwhelming in e standard.
I have similar things with my Ultra XL, especially since I modded it with Red Wimas. It LOVES lower tunings, but my standard tuned guitar just seems meh on it.

I am not a low tunings kind of guy. Standard tuning and drop D are about all I use, and some open tunings like Open G. I don't like the way lower tunings sound for some reason. But, never the less, I always tune one of my guitars down to try it again since it seems to be all the rage, or I will tune down to learn a specific song off a CD or whatever. And when I do, the SL+ is pretty much the hot ticket for low tunings for me. I think because it has enough midrange to carry the low tuning. It will still cut nicely and not get too flabby on the lower strings. I agree as well that the 1086 is also a great candidate for this, with the mid voicing switch set to the mid boost setting instead of mid cut. But of coarse, every guitar, amp, cab, playing style, etc is totally different. I use a Les Paul, with a stock MTS cab. All of this gear has a strong midrange - Les Paul, SL+, and Vintage 30s. If you were running G12T-75s, which are tighter and have a little more top end sizzle, not as girthy as V30s, I would think the Ultra or UltraXL might be the hot ticket. If you are using a strat or bolt on neck guitar, I would probably think XTC with V30s would be a good start. It all depends on the other gear involved and the player I think, and everyone's personal opinion. Unfortunatly, even the room you are in makes a difference. My practice room is very small now ( I keep having kids!) and the smaller room sucks for everything. Carpet will absorb some of the high end, while a sheet rock room with wood floors will offer alot of reflection and accentuate the highs and mid highs. So you might get this monster tone with an Ultra at home, and then get to the gig and it falls apart so you have to switch to higher midrange module to get your tone to carry, or at least engage the tube screamer. So many variables. It is enough to drive you crazy!

Speaking of Low Tunings - I just picked up the new Creed CD. Tremonti is tuned down to probably C# or lower on alot of the tracks, enough to really notice he is tuned down pretty deep. It took me a while to get used to. Anyway, I think that this album is a good example of low tunings done right. I know he is pretty well known for using a Triple Recto (my fav too!) but this sounds like a different amp to me. It has a Bogner sound to it. Strong midrange that carries the bass and treb frequencies nicely and keeps a good balance. It does not have that quirky Mesa sound to it, but it does have a distinct midrange presence that I groove on. Like I said, it sounds like a Bogner, but with a much lower tuning than you normally hear out of people that play Bogners. Pretty cool. Maybe an Engl?

chop883 said:
Speaking of Low Tunings - I just picked up the new Creed CD. Tremonti is tuned down to probably C# or lower on alot of the tracks, enough to really notice he is tuned down pretty deep. It took me a while to get used to. Anyway, I think that this album is a good example of low tunings done right. I know he is pretty well known for using a Triple Recto (my fav too!) but this sounds like a different amp to me. It has a Bogner sound to it. Strong midrange that carries the bass and treb frequencies nicely and keeps a good balance. It does not have that quirky Mesa sound to it, but it does have a distinct midrange presence that I groove on. Like I said, it sounds like a Bogner, but with a much lower tuning than you normally hear out of people that play Bogners. Pretty cool. Maybe an Engl?
Behemoth used a Bogner on their latest album, actually, and they tune down to C# and lower :D

People need to stop referring to Dropped D tuning as a "low" tuning, it really isn't at all.. I'd only consider Dropped C and lower to be a "low tuning", for all intents and purposes most low tuning metal guys will probably think the same. Just sayin'

I use drop C and don't have any problem with any of them. I would think Grail would be a great one for rhythm work.

I use a stock black stripe treadplate for most of my playing and two of my guitars that are tuned to Dropped B sound GREAT on it through the mids and highs, and the big bottom end is great, but the bottom end gets a bit... I don't know, crumbly or something haha, it isn't as tight as I'd like.. Should I perhaps swap C3 for a lower valued cap? It is currently 0.0022uF, would 0.001uF make a decent difference?