Component Spreadsheet

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graham Pearson

Reaction score
I've built a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet of stock MTS modules. Each column has the component values for a specific module; values for resistors, capacitors, pots, and other components.

The starting point was the set of PDF files found elsewhere on the Grailtone site of various PCB layouts. After comparing these PCBs with my 7 stock modules, all of which have black face plates, I realized I was not comparing apples to apples. That's because the PDF files correspond to early modules having silver face plates.

For this reason, my spreadsheet has two pages. The first page is for modules with silver face plates and the second is for those with black face plates. Perhaps I'll need a third page for silver face plates with the black stripe?

I've updated the first page with values from a spreadsheet that Arch Keele emailed me. I've updated the second page with my modules; Blackface, JTM, Top Boost, Treadplate, Tweed, Ultra, and 1086. The columns that have been checked are highlighted with a yellow background. See screen shot at end of this post.

When the component lists for all stock modules have been checked, I intend to publish my spreadsheet somewhere on the Grailtone site. There should be several benefits. For example, it'll be easy to compare two similar modules and it'll help you figure out if a second-hand module has been modded in any way.

I need help checking the remaining modules. If you feel like participating, please PM me with your email address. I'll send you the spreadsheet and a Word document that describes how the spreadsheet was developed and how to update it.

After checking and correcting the columns for the modules you own, return the updated spreadsheet to me as an email attachment. I'll use your feedback to update the "master" spreadsheet.

As a final note, I will not publish the component lists for any modded modules other than those in the public domain on this Grailtone site. I consider mods created by professional modders such as Jaded Faith and Sacred Groove to be proprietary and confidential. These guys spend lots of time in R&D and their efforts go towards putting food on the table.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Graham

ScreenShot.jpg

Shoot me over the list of missing modules and I'll see if I can fill that this week. I have hand written note for you all over the sheets you sent at the bench and can organize whatever you still need.

Rob

Wow! Awesome, this saves us time putting module layouts side by side and comparing. I'm seeing that Randall essentially uses the same trace board for these so I'm assuming I should be able to turn my blackface into something like a Brown module would i not? I'm thinking Brown module with better caps to see what happens..

Alas, no.

Blackface, Deluxe, KH-1, and Clean all use the same board (Deluxe might be different, can't recall).

Everything else except the Ultra Lead, XTC, and Modern used the same board as well. The exceptions have their own quirks.

Hi, is this spreadsheet available somewhere, and does it include the resistors?

Thanks...

I think it was mentioned that this would only be made available once the list is ready and then posted to the main section of the site where the current layouts can be found..

Shinozoku said:
Alas, no.

Blackface, Deluxe, KH-1, and Clean all use the same board (Deluxe might be different, can't recall).

Everything else except the Ultra Lead, XTC, and Modern used the same board as well. The exceptions have their own quirks.

For modules with black face plates, I have seen 4 PCB variations, identified by different part numbers:

E110900 REV-B Blackface
E110901 REV-A 1086, JTM, Plexi, SL+, Top Boost, Tweed, Ultra
E110902 Treadplate
E110903 REV-B XTC

Older modules, with silver and sometimes black-stripe face plates, have different PCBs but I suspect they fall into the same family groups as above.

Guys, looking at these spreadsheets (which I still don't really see the use of) I had an idea:

As all modules are based on 2, maybe 3 base PCB's, wouldn't it be possible to draw up a sort of master-schematic of those?

I think that would make it way easyer to tinker with modules, when you can see what module has what "mods" to the schematic. Also it could give some interesting insight into what can be done with just the PCB that's already there..

What do you think?

Hey guys:

Please take a look at my initial post for this topic. You'll see a colored pop-up window superimposed on top of the spreadsheet. This is a comment describing suggestions that have been made elsewhere on the Grailtone site for modifying this component.

Now look at the other values in my illustration. You'll see a small red triangle at the top-right corner of numerous cells. Each of these triangles indicates there's a comment associated with that component value describing modifications suggested elsewhere on this site.

I've taken a lot of time scouring all topics on this site, gathering suggestions for modifications and including comments for each of the modules on the spreadsheet.

The bottom line is this. The spreadsheet is not only a document describing all of the typical "stock" component values, it's also a central repository for the various mods that have been posted. It's like a database of mods.

Surely, the spreadsheet has some value for various reasons:
1. If you buy a used module, you can check to see if it has been modded.
2. If you want to experiment with modding your own modules, it gives you some clear ideas about where to start.
3. If you're thinking about having one of your modules professionally modded, you can use the spreadsheet as a basis for discussion between you and the modder.

Onward through the fog.
Graham

Ok, I see the value of that :)

I still think a schematic would be a strong extra support for this.

That "master schematic" combined with these spreadsheets should yield a very strong base for DIYers to work from :D

Hey another idea:

If you get DropBox, and set this file up in the public folder, you can share the link and anyone can download the most up-to-date version at any time.

People would only be able to download, not edit or whatever, since it's hosted on the Dropbox servers ;)