"The Cleaner" customised module

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrunchBunch

Reaction score
Love the Randall MTS system. Only stumbled upon it about 12 months ago and since that time I've gone on an acquisition frenzy along with modifying to suit my tastes and needs almost every module I've got.

In doing my mods, my focus has been on pursuing tone and feel that makes me want to play and write more. The magic of MTS is I can plug a new module in and get a whole new palette of inspiration.

Today I finished the last piece in the puzzle. A clean module I've named "The Cleaner". I used a Blackface as the donor but a lot has been changed over the last 5-6 months I've had it in development. It was good to finally get it to stage I'm really happy with it. It ticks all of the boxes on my clean module wish list:

- super clean to warmly distorted with the twist of the gain knob;
- boosted and gritty with the flick of the grime switch - clean with a light touch but gritty if you dig the pick in;
- two tone stacks on a push-pull mid knob (the "fat" switch) to give me the optimum adjustment range/tone stack for humbuckers and single coils;
- a tighter, more focused voicing option on the push-pull gain knob (the "scrub" switch) for blues lead breaks.

It's funny, I thought I had it dialed about 2 months ago. Then I built a super high-gain module inspired by what I liked most about the soldano/5150 and what I disliked most about the Mesa Rectos. A lot of lessons learned on structuring those gain stages and the tone stacks then made it back into the clean module (but none of the values)!

Anyway, more info on "The Cleaner" mod is available here

-334862368_r1.jpg

Hopefully this'll keep you fellow DIY guys fired up...

Also, if anyone wants to get rid of a clean type module, I need to make a backup for The Cleaner. Clean, Blackface, Deluxe would all work.

Cheers Capt. Have been playing this module alot over the past couple of days and doing some tube rolling as well. Can't wait to get another one built for some proper A/B testing.

At the moment, long plate JJ ECC803S in V1 is the winner. What's in V2 doesn't seem to have as much effect on tone. Got a big variety of valves arriving any day now, so there's more fun to be had.

Just made a copy of The Cleaner for the awesome Mattfig. The original took me months to develop, so I'd forgotten how much work there was involved. I pretty much replaced every component of the donor module (outside of the power supply circuit). There were over two dozen component changes and several additional components for good measure.

Thankfully the copy sounds every bit as awesome as the original. I hope Matt will be happy with it.

1183724399_r1.jpg

The Cleaner #2 is done and on its way back to Matt. Its got some user friendly additions like some of my favourite settings, a place to record your own and a list of tried and recommended tubes.

1470974522_r1.jpg

1470974619_r1.jpg

Well, after having a few goes with "The Cleaner" I will say now she is a winner! Very nice tones, very useable options...Everything clicks with this one....Perhaps the best clean mod I own...Demo forthcoming....

Mattfig said:
...Perhaps the best clean mod I own...

Wow. That's quite humbling. I'm really pleased that it can hold its own against other modded modules.

Bit of a blast from the past, but did Matt ever do a review of "The Cleaner". I'm still using the two original modules I built and still like them every time I play 'em.

Did you ever make any more of these? I’ve got a Clean module that’s not working so was looking to rebuild and came across this (also on faqload site). I’d happily make a donation if you were able to give a component list and basic instructions.

Cheers.