DIY or converted module soft case?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Randall MTS module canvas-style soft cases originally went for about $50 each in late 2000s. I have two- they are decent quality, nothing particularly complex about the construction or design, yet I have never found an easily repurposed soft case designed for something else of compatible size/layout.

Used Randall ones rarely show up online, always for silly prices. Salvation Audio recently started making their own version, same style as the Randall design for the bargain price of $189 shipped to USA, plus whatever import tax applies, link on their website (sold out of course).

Several DIY designs have been posted over the years for pelican/gator style hard cases with "pick and pluck" foam inserts. I gave that a shot using Monoprice (cheapest hard case brand I could find) with mixed results, a small 2 module & a larger 5 module case. The pluck foam cube size is too large in the bigger Monoprice cases (half inch vs quarter inch cubes), and the split between lid and main compartment space is not ideal, foam too thin on bottom, too much slop in the lid space. The price of larger Monoprice cases capable of holding 8+ modules is prohibitive, and would be much bulkier than the Randall/Salvation soft cases.

I remain stunned that Synergy hasn't come up with an equivalent soft case, or perfectly dimensioned hard case(s). I emailed a Synergy POC about the Salvation product & suggesting they making something similar whenever pandemic recovery allows; got a polite reply, but I won't hold my breath.

I can't be the only one looking for a better solution.

DIY question: Has anyone found an existing soft case that could be easily converted to use for module storage, with somewhere between MacGyver and Betsy Ross level stitching skills?

Alternately, has anyone found a vendor (or an Etsy-type small scale operation) that could custom make module soft cases in the sub $100 range sized for 6-8 modules?

Randall MTS module canvas-style soft cases originally went for about $50 each in late 2000s. I have two- they are decent quality, nothing particularly complex about the construction or design, yet I have never found an easily repurposed soft case designed for something else of compatible size/layout.

Used Randall ones rarely show up online, always for silly prices. Salvation Audio recently started making their own version, same style as the Randall design for the bargain price of $189 shipped to USA, plus whatever import tax applies, link on their website (sold out of course).

Several DIY designs have been posted over the years for pelican/gator style hard cases with "pick and pluck" foam inserts. I gave that a shot using Monoprice (cheapest hard case brand I could find) with mixed results, a small 2 module & a larger 5 module case. The pluck foam cube size is too large in the bigger Monoprice cases (half inch vs quarter inch cubes), and the split between lid and main compartment space is not ideal, foam too thin on bottom, too much slop in the lid space. The price of larger Monoprice cases capable of holding 8+ modules is prohibitive, and would be much bulkier than the Randall/Salvation soft cases.

I remain stunned that Synergy hasn't come up with an equivalent soft case, or perfectly dimensioned hard case(s). I emailed a Synergy POC about the Salvation product & suggesting they making something similar whenever pandemic recovery allows; got a polite reply, but I won't hold my breath.

I can't be the only one looking for a better solution.

DIY question: Has anyone found an existing soft case that could be easily converted to use for module storage, with somewhere between MacGyver and Betsy Ross level stitching skills?

Alternately, has anyone found a vendor (or an Etsy-type small scale operation) that could custom make module soft cases in the sub $100 range sized for 6-8 modules?
Burns cases on reverb and Etsy