Is SYN inbuilt cabsim any good?

Area for the Synergy line of amps and modules
Burlo
RM20

Is SYN inbuilt cabsim any good?

Post by Burlo » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:29 am

Hi, looking to simplify recording by going direct, rather than mic+cab etc.

Is the SYN-1/SYN-2 cabsim:

1. Not terrible
2. Good enough
3. Fantastic

I have a Randall RM100 (no dual channel mod). Should I buy a Torpedo or similar instead of a SYN? Thoughts and opinions gratefully received. Cheers.

gibsonash
RM20

Re: Is SYN inbuilt cabsim any good?

Post by gibsonash » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:58 am

Good enough ... But you ll need power amp simulation (torpedo captor x) to be ...fantastic

btownninja
RM20

Post by btownninja » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:12 pm

Certainly usable, but I typically keep it off for recording and apply my own IR after the fact.

Burlo
RM20

Post by Burlo » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:57 am

Many thanks for the swift responses, really helpful.

Mike P
Lynch Box

Post by Mike P » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:06 am

Burlo wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:29 am
Hi, looking to simplify recording by going direct, rather than mic+cab etc.

Is the SYN-1/SYN-2 cabsim:

1. Not terrible
2. Good enough
3. Fantastic

I have a Randall RM100 (no dual channel mod). Should I buy a Torpedo or similar instead of a SYN? Thoughts and opinions gratefully received. Cheers.
I wouldn't purchase anything without first trying the built-in cabinet simulator because it may suit your needs perfectly.

Personally, I do not like the Torpedo products because they alter the sound of the IR way too much, which results in a very processed sound. Recabinet 5.0 and STL Ignite's Libra are much better, IMO, because neither processes the sound of the IR, resulting in a much clearer and far more accurate IR representation, although I do not care for their included IR's. I use Recabinet for all of my guitar and bass tracks with Celestion IR's.
gibsonash wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:58 am
Good enough ... But you ll need power amp simulation (torpedo captor x) to be ...fantastic
With all due respect, this is 100% false. A "power amp simulation" is absolutely unnecessary. It's basically an EQ Curve set around 200 hz and while that may be nice when just jamming, you'll end up EQing that out when in a proper mix.

My advice is to demo as many IR Loaders as possible, record a track in your DAW and render a mix with each one. Comparing mixes will reveal which is best for your application. Good luck!
www.mikeplas.com
Jaded Faith: Vybe Deluxe
Sacred Groove: Rectifier
Synergy: SYN-2(4)|Bogner Ecstasy|Diezel VH4|ENGL Savage|Friedman HBE|Metro Plex|Plexi|Soldano SLO
Synergy Amps Artist: http://synergyamps.com/artists

Mike P
Lynch Box

Post by Mike P » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:02 am

Here are a couple of tracks in which I used the Soldano SLO>SYN-2>Vintech x73>Celestion IR's using Recbainet 5.

No EQ was added in the mixing stage, there's no power amp simulation, etc., so you're hearing the tone of the guitar, Synergy preamp and effects in the DAW. I used Soundtoys Echoboy Delays (long & short) and a bit of Lexicon Plate Reverb. The Delays are set to -15 while the Reverb is set to -12. I'll post some heavier tracks in the next week or so.

https://soundcloud.com/mikeplas/head-rush-active-rock

https://soundcloud.com/mikeplas/broken- ... ctive-rock
www.mikeplas.com
Jaded Faith: Vybe Deluxe
Sacred Groove: Rectifier
Synergy: SYN-2(4)|Bogner Ecstasy|Diezel VH4|ENGL Savage|Friedman HBE|Metro Plex|Plexi|Soldano SLO
Synergy Amps Artist: http://synergyamps.com/artists

gibsonash
RM20

Post by gibsonash » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:30 am

Sound great !