SS vs Tube power amp?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

friedmanfan

Reaction score
I bought a Syn-1 with BE-BB module, but i'm not sure wether to get a SS or tube power amp, the SS is lighter and smaller, but maybe the tubes sound better?

I would run the power section clean with not breakup so i could get pristine cleans from the BB side of the preamp, therefore i don't know of how much importance a tube power section would be?

thanks

I've used both, and have noticed a little difference, and there seems to be a "feel" thing. But overall, I have gotten a great sound with the SYN-1 and a Seymour Duncan PowerStage. Tons of headroom. In fact, I've never gotten it past halfway. It's loud AF with no added distortion to the signal. Incredibly clean.

I made some pretty extensive tests with a Marshall 9100 dual monoblock, Matrix GT1000 and the Syn5050.
The Marshall was the least appealing, with a harsh high mind emphasis.
The Matrix has a lot more compressed and flat feel to it, compared to either of the tube poweramps, it can sound cool for high gain, but lacks dynamics and feel in crunch and clean.
The Syn5050 was the best sounding out of the 3 although the sound radically differs if the chassis volume is set high or the poweramp level set higher.
The higher you set the chassis volume output the brighter and more dynamic it gets, with around noon on the chassis volume the sound is less harsh but loosing a bit of dynamics.

I started with my old Randall RM 2-80 SS power amp then acquired a VHT 2/50/2. The VHT so much better sounding I can't even begin to describe the difference.