SYN-2 completely mute

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j4q0

Reaction score
My SYN-2 just stopped working out of the blue a couple days ago.
The unit powers up, changes channel both with the front panel switch and with MIDI PC messages from a MIDI controller, but there is no sound coming out of the unit at all.
I've tried all and any output jack from the unit and I get the same result. The modules I have sound fine on a Randall RM4, all cables have been tested and are OK, the input tube was swapped with the input tube from the RM4 and it was OK.
I have yet to open the unit and inspect it visually.
Has anybody had any problem like this before?

that's really odd behavior- if you haven't already, I'd completely disconnect it from whatever MIDI controller you are using (unplug the MIDI cable from the rear of the SYN-2), power cycle, it and try changing channels again using the button on the front. There is a discrete MIDI command for Mute:

"CC message will mute all channels of the SYN-2 if a value of 64 or higher is received, and will unmute the amp if a value of 63 or lower is received."

EDIT- sorry, it's late, just re-read that you tried cables and V1 tube.

Other thing is the basic troubleshooting, make sure you have known good cables that test out on other equipment ,and use the simplest config by disconnecting everything else (are you using 4CM into a head?) and triple check you have the correct jacks connected on the head/poweramp. I've scared myself a few times getting 4CM connected to the wrong jacks on the amp after moving things.

I'm not sure it would power on if there's a problem with the V1 preamp tube on the SYN2 itself (12AX7, covered with springloaded shield on the right when looking at it from the rear). You could try replacing that tube with another 12AX7 if you have a spare (make sure power is off & unplugged and you wait 5+ minutes for it to cool down).

If that still doesn't solve it, I'd contact Synergy. Good luck-

I did contact Synergy and they replied very fast. After a short conversation they told me that the unit need to go back to get checked/fixed.
Unfortunately I couldn't do that this past week.
I didn't know about the mute command via CC; I guess technically speaking there is a remote possibility that my MIDI Mate went crazy and sent a value of 64 or lower via CC#64.
I'll have to check this and mute command and report back. If that didn't solve the problem, the unit will have to go back to Synergy.

Reporting back:

I tested the mute function of the SYN-2 CC64 and it didn't work, re-tested the unit with new patch cables and a new V1 just in case and the issue still remains.
Fortunately, the guys at Synergy were very fast to reply and my unit is going back to get it checked and fix the issue.
I hope this doesn't take too long.

Dear j4q0!

I have exactly the same problem.

Do you have any news, tips or tricks that can help?

I contacted Synergy directly and they were very fast to reply. Fortunately my unit was still on warranty (only a month left!) so I had to send the unit to an authorized repair shop.
I was told that this particular unit was blowing fuses. I don't know if it was the mains fuse or an internal one as I didn't open the unit myself.
Synergy gave an update to the amp tech to fix the issue, the whole thing lasted 4 weeks. Pretty fast I must say, considering that shipping time there and back accounted for a week.

I know some people have had some issues trying to contact Synergy but the 2 times I had to contact them they were pretty fast to reply and they fixed my issues, so even if your unit is not under warranty they for sure will try to help you.

Let us know what was the problem and what was the fix. I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Hi there,

I have the same problem here. It started yesterday and I am already in contact with Synergy support. I also was asked to send the unit to an authorized service technician here in Germany. In my unit R29 looks burned. I will send off the unit to the service technician tomorrow.

Since I acquired the unit in late 2018 I hope the repair will still be covered by the guarantee and even more so since it seems there is a common problem here.

Maybe you guys can chime in if your resistor R29 looks burned. The power transformer also felt quite hot to the touch.

Best Regards,

Dote

I never got to open the unit myself so I can't verify any burnt component.
When I asked what the problem was I think the amp tech was too busy to answer, which is understandable, unit was fixed so I left it there.
From the (very brief) conversation I had with the amp tech, I infer this is a problem that has occurred more than once, but I can't complain, the unit works well and that has been the only issue I've had with it.