Different Amp Platform for My Synergy Modules?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RMosack

Reaction score
Synergy Advice Question:

I currently have five modules that I use in two SYN2 units. So one is always on the sidelines. And my preferred method to date of using these extra eight channels is with a host amp. So they are in the "add channels to your amp" configuration. That amp is a Mesa Mark V.

I got into this whole thing because I got tired of looking for the latest and greatest Marshall in a box pedal to add Marshall tones to the very good Boogie tones already in the Mark V. For it's nine modes spread around three channels, it does some cool stuff. But it doesn't do Marshall. So I "had to" get a Synergy with a Plexi module. I LOVE those low gain Marshall type tones. Then I quickly realized that it doesn't really do Vox sort of thing that my old Trace Elliot Velocette used to do. So I picked up the Morgan AC module. Before long, after reading this thread and seeing almost every demo, I couldn't resist adding modules.
1) Synergy Plexi - adding low/mid Marshall tones is why I got into this
2) Morgan AC - never having any Vox flavor in the decade since my Velocette made me buy this one
3) Synergy OS - I'm a complete sucker for the Dumble aspect, especially the great demos online. Love BOTH channels. The Blue is a great alternate clean to the onboard Mark V clean.
4) Soldano SLO - Just too darn good for those classic '80s and even '90s tones. Everything from hair metal to even Clapton stuff. May be the best, easiest to use module.
5) Bogner Ecstasy - Couldn't resist more Marshall inspired flavors to supplement the Plexi.

But here I am with this setup, and I realize that I'm barely using the second and third channels of my Mesa Mark V. Channel Two has an Edge, Crunch and Mark I mode. I can't figure out which mode to use, becaue the Synergy stuff covers so many bases. AC does the Edge thing better. Plexi and Ecstasy sort of have the Crunch thing covered. And the OS kind of fills in for what the Mark I mode might do. Channel Three on the Mesa does Mark IIC+, Mark IV and Extreme (which is like Mark IV, but without negative feedback). This mode isn't my favorite, but assigning the 5 band graphic in that V pattern kind of does that classic Boogie thing.

What's real nice about this setup is that the Boogie offers 15, 45 and 90 watt output for any of its channels. And it has a decent 6L6 power section that's already kind of close to what the Synergy power amps would have. A simple combo with a 12" speaker is also super simple.

But I wonder if I'd be better served with a different amp that offers different core tones. And not just different, but different from what my Synergy modules already have. I can't think of any, but I wonder if anyone here has any ideas.
- I used to have a JVM410H feeding a big cab. Great amp, with four channels. But I kind of never needed anything beyond the six fantastic modes on the first two channels. And the lack of a low power output section meant it had to be loud as hell all the time, or it needed an attenuator.
- I see the Revv amps. That Generator 120 looks like an absolute monster - and expensive! I wonder how it's 2nd, 3rd and 4th channels compare tonally to what I currently have in my modules.
- Others...?